Need Help deciding if I should keep my MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by yespi, Oct 28, 2008.

1. yespi macrumors member

Hi All

I bought a brand new MBA for $1000 but can't decide if I should keep it or try to exchange it with the new aluminum MacBook.

I already have a MacBook Pro (early 2008) 17" 2.6ghz, 4GB at home and in my office I have a Mac Pro 2x3.2 GHz, 10GB. the only reason I need a new laptop is because I travel everyday for about 3 hours to work and back home and I'm getting now a masters degree in graphic design thru online classes.

I used to take with me my MacBook Pro but its to big & heavy for everyday travel on the bus.

I will mainly use the MBA for online video tutorials and documentations, I would also like to install Adobe CS4 for light usage.

Is the MacBook Air a good choice for me?

Thanks

2. aleni macrumors 68020

yes! especially if you already have a powerful MBP at home.

make sure the mba is just fine running videos without it being overheating.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

By all accounts, the MBA is a superb second computer (and a reasonable main computer for those who don't have heavy graphics usage) for someone with a powerful main computer who travels a lot and needs the lightness and portability of the MBA. So, yes, keep it.
    Cheers

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

In total agreement with the above posters, but I question how well the MBA will run CS4.

5. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

6. six.four macrumors 6502

I agree with the above posters: keep the MBA.

If it were your primary computer, that would something else, but as a secondary laptop for travel, I'd say keep the MBA without a doubt. Not only are MBA screens rumored to be superior to that of the new macbooks, you'd be surprised at how much the 1.5lb difference makes.

7. coupdetat macrumors 6502

The screen on the MBA is a huge step above the new MB's. It's just barely glossy and painfully bright on the max setting.

Keep it! It's a great second computer for anyone who needs more than a netbook on the go.

8. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

May I ask where you got it from? You can PM me for privacy :p

I have always had issues with the 1st gen MBA and I have been waiting for the 2nd gen but I might just get one for that price since I do not have my old one any more.

I might get it for this price over the 2nd gen just because it is going to be a second computer next to my 3.06 iMac.

9. yespi thread starter macrumors member

I got it from eBay for $1100 plus they have a 10% discount so total was $1000
    Btw I lately saw a few MBA going on eBay for that price or even cheaper so you might be lucky.

And no I'm not selling it I'm totally in love with it :) it works like a charm besides for that creepy fan noise :( when it lays on my bed.

Thanks guys

10. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

Hopefully this is going to be my last question to you.

I am not able to see anything cheap than $1300 on ebay and how did you get that 10% coupon?

11. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Why start a thread about whether it's the right choice for you if you then go on to say you love it and won't be selling it?

And to the poster above; ebay listings change all the time. That's the nature of an auction site.

12. yespi thread starter macrumors member

Sorry. but when I asked this question I didn't had it than, and was confused by all the negative posts here in the forums, but now that I got it I can't give it up.
    :)

13. yespi thread starter macrumors member

Here is a few links on ebay that might end up good for you.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Macbook-Air-1-8GHz-2GB-64GB-SSD-NEW_W0QQitemZ280279896915QQihZ018QQcategoryZ111422QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-APPLE-MACBOOK-AIR-INTEL-CORE2DUO-1-6GHZ-80GB_W0QQitemZ250316011907QQihZ015QQcategoryZ111422QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/MACBOOK-AIR-1-8-NEW-AWESOME-SAVINGS_W0QQitemZ200268995375QQihZ010QQcategoryZ111422QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I guess that the trick is not to go up with the price until the last second that's what I saw when I was bidding, I wasn't lucky either for more than 15 times, :( just keep trying and good luck. :)

14. gooddeal macrumors regular

gooddeal

You really need to be careful when dealing with ebay.

"THE HARD DRIVE HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THE SYSTEM.":eek:

"IT HAS NEVER BEEN REGISTERED SO YOU CAN TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE FULL MANUFACTURES WARRANTY."

I think the warranty starts on the day of purchase regardless when you register the product.