Need help deciding if I should restore from backup

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Videomanmac, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Videomanmac macrumors 6502

Got my new 6s 16GB on the way, so pumped to get it. Replacing my 16GB 5s. I have years upon years of junk and stuff built up on my phone. Right now I have 60MB free, and it somehow keeps getting eaten up. I have an Apple Watch, too. I mainly do not want to loose any texts, I have everything ebbing backed up to iCloud, except my phone storage exceeds the iCloud storage I have to back it up with.

Would you go with a fresh install or go ahead and restore from backup?

OH, most importantly, I have clash of clans data I need saved. Would this be included in Game Center data or would I need to restore from backup to get my base back? :)

2. eastamherstbias macrumors 6502

I like doing everything fresh once a year but yes you lose game data.

3. roberthodgson macrumors regular

I like to do a fresh setup it cleans out the unused apps and resets all the timers I have done restores in the past but for last few years I have gone with the fresh install and just synced my iCloud data with the new setup.

4. BestMate macrumors newbie

Could someone please explain the difference between fresh install ans restore from backup.
    If I did fresh install would I lose my apps layout etc and any old messages or emails???
    I can't workout what the best option would be for me when my new 6s arrives??

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I would clean out anything your are not using on your old phone and do an ENCRYPTED BACKUP via iTunes or none of your health data will be in the backup. If you are using the AW you must do a encrypted backup to get all the information restored to your new phone.

I have always done a full restore and never had a problem.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've done both, restore from a backup and clean install. Now that I have an Apple Watch, any new iPhone will be restore only. Also as Newtons Apple mentioned, your backup must be encrypted if you backup via iTunes because it won't contain the health data otherwise.

7. OCGirlie macrumors newbie

I prefer to do a restore just bc I like to have everything that I'm used to, including layout, etc. But restoring from iCloud is a pain in the a**, it takes soooo long. Thinking of doing a backup from iTunes instead. I've done some research, apparently when doing a restore through iTunes backup, songs will not transfer through? Anybody has a workaround on this?

I got a new laptop so there are no songs in my iTunes...

8. Cutiekitty92 macrumors 65816

Cutiekitty92

I always do from backup I hate losing anything

9. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

In the past, like many moons ago, a clean install was a good idea b.c sometimes you would have issues with backups causing problems on a new OS. Those days seems to be gone, and I always restore from backup.

10. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

As long as you are signed into Game Center within the app it should sync up as soon as you download the app and open it on your new device. It might take a few minutes of 'playing' through the intro of the game in order to access the settings screen, but once you sign into GameCenter again it will prompt you to restore your previous game data.

I do a fresh install of iOS onto my daily driver 6+ every couple of software updates and have never had a problem getting my Clash data back.

With regard to Clash of Clans: I'm an early Town Hall 9, how far along are you? :)

11. myname70 macrumors 6502a

Guys, do you think it is a good to set my new iPhone 6s plus not "as new" but to restore it form the iCloud backup made on my current iPhone 6 plus? Maybe it is better to set it as new and manually to install again whatever I need?

12. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

Whenever I get a new device, I like to set it up as new.

Since backups are an all or nothing affair, that also includes any potentially corrupt files from previous backups and devices.