Need help deciding... keep my mid-2009 MBP or buy new MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fanchee, Oct 26, 2011.

  1. fanchee macrumors 6502a

    fanchee

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2009
    #1
    Hi,

    I can't decide what to do and could use a few objective opinions.

    I currently have a mid-2009 13" MBP, 2.53/8g/500g 7200 hdd, superdrive. Installed Lion on it, I really have no complaints.

    A friend offered to buy my machine for $800-900.

    I have a 120gSSD from OWC on the way. My original plan was to put the SSD into my current MBP and be happy for another few years. But it sure is tempting to sell my machine, get a new 13" MBP and put the SSD into it. I would keep my 500 hdd and add it via optibay, and put the 750hdd that comes in the new machine into my old MBP for my friend.

    New price through MacMall - $1420ish
    Sell my current MBP - 900
    Is it worth the upgrade for $500? Mine is a core 2 duo machine. I'm leaning towards keeping mine, but if the performance were that much greater to warrant the $500, I'd go for it.

    I would appreciate your opinion! Thank you.
     
  2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2006
    #2
    I was debating whether or not I should do the same with my 15" MBP last year. I bought an Intel SSD and it made my 2009 MBP feel new again. The speed was insanely fast!

    So unless you need every ounce of power from your MBP, why upgrade to a new one? I say just pop in that new SSD and let it speak for itself. Without the SSD, I would have definitely upgraded to a new MBP. But for now, I can wait until 2012/2013 for a new MBP. All I foresee is that I might need a new battery by then.
     
  3. alust2013 macrumors 601

    alust2013

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    On the fence
    #3
    You probably wouldn't notice a difference in performance, plus $900 is pretty steep for that computer. It's probably only worth about $650
     
  4. fanchee thread starter macrumors 6502a

    fanchee

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2009
    #4
    Thanks, this helps a lot. My gut is telling me to keep the one I have so that's what I'll be doing. Thanks again!
     
  5. trip1ex macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2008
    #5
    Yeah your friend can buy a 2011 refurb from Apple for $929 plus tax and free printer with 1 year warranty.

    Of course you could could too.
     

Share This Page