Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcema

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2015
Kolkata
Hey there fellow Mac enthusiasts!

I'm currently stuck at a crossroads and would love to hear your opinions. I'm considering purchasing a MacBook Pro with an M2 Pro-14 inch chip (12-core CPU, 19-core GPU), 16 GB of RAM, and a 1 TB SSD, which is being offered as a refurbished model for $2119.

But, I'm also thinking about waiting for the rumored M3 MacBook Pro that's reportedly going to be armed with 3nm chip technology. Obviously, these are only rumors for now, but the thought of a more advanced chip is very tempting.

My workload primarily consists of using Blender, Adobe Illustrator, Agilent MassHunter, PyMOL, R-Studio, and other scientific software for complex rendering and data analysis. My work requires heavy CPU usage and I need enough processing power to ensure smooth multitasking and run all these apps without compromising performance.

Given these requirements, what do you all think? Should I opt for the M2 Pro MacBook right now or would it be a wise decision to hold out for the M3? If anyone has used an M2 for similar workloads, I'd love to hear about your experiences with it. And for those who are also keeping an eye on the M3 rumors, do you think the wait will be worthwhile, considering my use-case?

Thanks in advance for your valuable insights! Looking forward to your advice!Cheers

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
M2pro MacBook Pros are "just released" not that long ago.

It's probably going to be 9 months to a year before we see M3pro MBP's.

Are you willing to wait that long?

samcema

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2015
Kolkata
M2pro MacBook Pros are "just released" not that long ago.

It's probably going to be 9 months to a year before we see M3pro MBP's.

Are you willing to wait that long?

Hey there,

Thanks for your response!

I understand the M2 Pro MacBook Pros are fairly new and I'm certainly not averse to them. You're absolutely right, waiting for an M3 Pro MBP might take another 9 months to a year (if not more) considering the usual release cycle of Apple products.

Honestly, the waiting part is a dilemma. On one hand, I know that I could benefit from the processing power of the M2 Pro immediately if I go for it now. My current setup (Windows) is honestly not that aged and I can wait a few months to a year to get the latest tech, so that upgrade could significantly boost my productivity.

On the other hand, I can't help but feel that the M3, with its rumored 3nm chip technology, could potentially offer even more performance gains. It's the classic "buy now or wait for the next best thing" debate.

I guess it boils down to whether the M2 Pro can handle my workload efficiently. If it can, I'd be more inclined to purchase it now rather than wait. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated!

Thanks again for your insight.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Buy the right computer when you NEED it.

It reads like you don't need one right now. So wait. If you happen to get to M3 and you still don't actually need one, wait for M4.

To the question of efficiency, I would guess you are actually seeking productivity gains vs.- say- power per watt improvements. For this, you should attempt a test to see if buying now will make a noticeable difference. You might be able to assess this from benchmark comparisons. However, if so, be sure the testing is unbiased. Around here, "we" seem to gravitate towards and promote benchmarks where Apple wins and then question/dispute/conspiracy theory those where Apple comes in second or lower. Benchmark is fine if Apple wins but it is "not coded properly" if Apple is second or lower. Seek objective measures and interpretation vs. what a very biased crowd thinks if you want to pass judgement on benchmarks.

Objectively: reality is that Wintel generally has more power and Apple wins battles of PPW. More power generally means faster computing. If your work tasks depend on getting the job done as fast as possible, more power is generally good for that. If your electric bill is a couple of dollars too high each month (and I mean literally a few dollars at most) and/or you need to lean on longer battery life or similar, a new Mac may be a better choice even if it may get some of your tasks done slower.

However, based on your posts, it reads like "money burning a hole in my pocket" more than "I need a new computer right now." Based only on what you've shared, I'd WAIT until I actually need a new computer. There's nothing at all wrong with patience. Even waiting a little while may get you a better price in the refurb store if the "burn" just becomes too hot.

Last edited:

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
I’ll admit to surprise with your selection of 16GB of RAM. Some of those programs are RAM limited. Added bonus: Agilent and R-Studio are Wintel PC programs (requiring Windows OS and x86 chips). Do you have a way of running those satisfactorily on a Mac?

samcema

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2015
Kolkata

It reads like you don't need one right now. So wait. If you happen to get to M3 and you still don't actually need one, wait for M4.

To the question of efficiency, I would guess you are actually seeking productivity gains vs.- say- power per watt improvements. For this, you should attempt a test to see if buying now will make a noticeable difference. You might be able to assess this from benchmark comparisons. However, if so, be sure the testing is unbiased. Around here, "we" seem to gravitate towards and promote benchmarks where Apple wins and then question/dispute/conspiracy theory those where Apple comes in second or lower. Benchmark is fine if Apple wins but it is "not coded properly" if Apple is second or lower. Seek objective measures and interpretation vs. what a very biased crowd thinks if you want to pass judgement on benchmarks.

Objectively: reality is that Wintel generally has more power and Apple wins battles of PPW. More power generally means faster computing. If your work tasks depend on getting the job done as fast as possible, more power is generally good for that. If your electric bill is a couple of dollars too high each month (and I mean literally a few dollars at most) and/or you need to lean on longer battery life or similar, a new Mac may be a better choice even if it may get some of your tasks done slower.

However, based on your posts, it reads like "money burning a hole in my pocket" more than "I need a new computer right now." Based only on what you've shared, I'd WAIT until I actually need a new computer. There's nothing at all wrong with patience. Even waiting a little while may get you a better price in the refurb store if the "burn" just becomes too hot.
Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Yes I may not exactly need a computer right now! I have been always using Windows for a very longest period of time & was thinking of switching the platform. But yes, may be I can wait when I will actually need a computer.

samcema

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2015
Kolkata
I’ll admit to surprise with your selection of 16GB of RAM. Some of those programs are RAM limited. Added bonus: Agilent and R-Studio are Wintel PC programs (requiring Windows OS and x86 chips). Do you have a way of running those satisfactorily on a Mac?
Yes those apps are not there for macOS. May be I was thinking of using it through parallel.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Because OP doesn't NEED a new computer right now. Contrary to popular opinion around here, Windows is not some kind of misery to use- just different. The vast majority of the world of computer users PREFER Windows, know it, do their work in it, enjoy their play in it, spend their money to buy it, etc. People here are in a smallish bubble of enthusiasts for an ALT OS that- as great as it seems to us- doesn't even run many of the apps important to the computing world because there are not versions for it.

And frankly, having re-embraced Windows as "old fashioned bootcamp" (as a separate computer to pair with a Silicon Mac), I find Windows 11 not really that different than macOS... other than compatibility with far more apps and the great flexibility to practically & economically add RAM or SSD as needed.

Most important OP has a few apps that are Windows exclusive... so even if he pulls the trigger to go Mac now, he's still going to need to run Windows for those apps. As some of us know, Windows ARM through Parallels or similar is not full Windows, so whether those apps run well in virtualized Windows is an unknown. Will they run at least as fast through a virtualization layer that then maybe running another virtualization layer to emulate x86 on ARM on macOS? I don't know. Does someone around here know for those apps? Has someone around here benchmarked those apps emulation emulation vs. native hardware?

OP obviously doesn't hate Windows, nor has a dead/dying PC. He's accustomed to Windows and knows how to do what he does in Windows. Switching to Mac will come with the learning curve, the risk of key apps not working or working as well and not really escaping the need for Windows since at least 2 key apps are exclusive. Along with the cost of the Mac, he'd also be adding the annual "subscription" of Parallels so he could keep having access to a platform that he already uses on working hardware with no emulation.

OP is apparently good with existing hardware. If he wants to embrace macOS too, he might want to think ADD vs. REPLACE and maybe pick up a refurb and/or minimal Mac Mini. Then the existing PC can still do the Windows stuff and he can also play with macOS. However, first question was about REPLACEment and given that key applications don't exist for macOS, that would be square peg in round hole by choosing the wrong tool for known needs.

Reactions: leifp and 3Rock

samcema

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2015
Kolkata
Because OP doesn't NEED a new computer right now. Contrary to popular opinion around here, Windows is not some kind of misery to use- just different. The vast majority of the world of computer users PREFER Windows, know it, do their work in it, enjoy their play in it, spend their money to buy it, etc. People here are in a smallish bubble of enthusiasts for an ALT OS that- as great as it seems to us- doesn't even run many of the apps important to the computing world because there are not versions for it.

And frankly, having re-embraced Windows as "old fashioned bootcamp" (as a separate computer to pair with a Silicon Mac), I find Windows 11 not really that different than macOS... other than compatibility with far more apps and the great flexibility to practically & economically add RAM or SSD as needed.

Most important OP has a few apps that are Windows exclusive... so even if he pulls the trigger to go Mac now, he's still going to need to run Windows for those apps. As some of us know, Windows ARM through Parallels or similar is not full Windows, so whether those apps run well in virtualized Windows is an unknown. Will they run at least as fast through a virtualization layer that then maybe running another virtualization layer to emulate x86 on ARM on macOS? I don't know. Does someone around here know for those apps? Has someone around here benchmarked those apps emulation emulation vs. native hardware?

OP obviously doesn't hate Windows, nor has a dead/dying PC. He's accustomed to Windows and knows how to do what he does in Windows. Switching to Mac will come with the learning curve, the risk of key apps not working or working as well and not really escaping the need for Windows since at least 2 key apps are exclusive. Along with the cost of the Mac, he'd also be adding the annual "subscription" of Parallels so he could keep having access to a platform that he already uses on working hardware with no emulation.

OP is apparently good with existing hardware. If he wants to embrace macOS too, he might want to think ADD vs. REPLACE and maybe pick up a refurb and/or minimal Mac Mini. Then the existing PC can still do the Windows stuff and he can also play with macOS. However, first question was about REPLACEment and given that key applications don't exist for macOS, that would be square peg in round hole by choosing the wrong tool for known needs.
You are absolutely on point! If we compare toe to toe Windows is more flexible for most of my applications, yes I don't have to think about adding parallels, searching for compatible apps, etc. For researchers like us, windows is the preferred one since almost 90% of the app works by default on PC and actually, you will find for it. But I like the ecosystem of Apple, where each thing is seamlessly integrated into the ecosystem. Having used Windows & android for a long time, you know sometimes you feel monotony even if you buy a new machine. I think that is getting me to look for the Apple ecosystem. I think Mac is kind of okay for very few people with focused applications. Outside of that, Mac compatibility almost does not exist. For example, in my case, 90% of the scientific softwares are easily available on Windows, so compatibility is also a big thing. I think I need to wait a few months to really think what I will get if I switch to Mac, and currently do I really need it or not? Sometimes we get carried away by the promotion but I need to look beyond that and in that way, Windows is far more compatible, upgradable & easy to use. But I must admit the efficiency ( smoothness of the OS, battery life, gestures) are way better in macOS. I am surprised why this basic gestures are still not as polished in Windows. But thank you so much for your viewpoint. Yes, I don't really need to spend 2000$ on something which will not work out of box. Thank you.

samcema

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2015
Kolkata

I dont care about benchmarks. For me it is stability of the OS, a reliable machine for 5 years, it has to be good for media consumption (like good display, sound, connectivity to TV monitors etc) along with compatibility. Yes if you consider all of them, then yes, Windows are better than mac.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
Because OP doesn't NEED a new computer right now. Contrary to popular opinion around here, Windows is not some kind of misery to use- just different. The vast majority of the world of computer users PREFER Windows, know it, do their work in it, enjoy their play in it, spend their money to buy it, etc.

Yes, I realise this. But is this a Mac forum or isn’t it? I like Macs, I feel they are superior computers in that you don’t have to deal with so much technical detail, and if you feel like buying a Mac I’m certainly not going to dissuade you. In fact I will cheer you on, just because Macs are a pleasure to use.

I spent a long period of my working life using Windows PCs and being buried in the technical detail of Microsoft Office, Visual Studio, Intel VTune and many other applications, and although it all worked, sometimes you had to spend several days wrangling the technicalities of the system. For my personal computing needs I prefer using Macs, because you have a gui that just takes care of everything that you don’t actually need to know, and if you need it there is the Unix layer.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Yes, I realise this. But is this a Mac forum or isn’t it? I like Macs, I feel they are superior computers in that you don’t have to deal with so much technical detail, and if you feel like buying a Mac I’m certainly not going to dissuade you. In fact I will cheer you on, just because Macs are a pleasure to use.

I spent a long period of my working life using Windows PCs and being buried in the technical detail of Microsoft Office, Visual Studio, Intel VTune and many other applications, and although it all worked, sometimes you had to spend several days wrangling the technicalities of the system. For my personal computing needs I prefer using Macs, because you have a gui that just takes care of everything that you don’t actually need to know, and if you need it there is the Unix layer.
Couldn't agree more. Windows at work, if you have to, but Mac at home - all the way!

Reactions: Misheemee

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
OP has crucial apps that only run on Windows. There are no Mac versions.

Yes, this is an Apple-biased forum but we don’t have to be salespeople. Right tool for the job. Mac-as great as it generally is- does not have select apps OP needs.

OP seemed to think “bootcamp” in some form was still a Silicon option. It’s not. OP seemed to think that ARM Windows emulation might be enough to run those Windows-only apps. While that’s a possibility, he already has a fully-functional PC already technically tuned to run the apps… and is thoroughly experienced with Windows.

Apple Inc does not need our help pushing square pegs for round holes. Apple will survive if we don’t help them sell every possible unit that might be sold. They are doing just fine. Fellow consumers can need our help looking through a consumer (first) lens. In this case, OP seems best served to keep his PC… maybe adding a Mac out of wanting to get acquainted with macOS, but not to replace the crucial tool he already has and uses now.

This is not a popularity contest. This is not a “which is (generally) better?” contest. This is not an Apple attack. A fellow consumer needs to run Windows-only apps and already has a good Windows PC to do it. He doesn’t need to replace that PC with a Mac because the latter doesn’t have native versions of his essential apps. We don’t help someone by pushing pliers- no matter how biased we might be towards pliers- to try to replace screwdrivers. It’s near impossible to screw in screws with even exceptionally-crafted pliers.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPack

Lorange

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2022
If you need a new computer , buy the one that is available NOW. If you dont need it , WAIT till M5 or whatever. There will always be a rumour about something better coming.

Misheemee

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
You could always buy a M2 MBP and sell it/trade it to upgrade when the new one is released?

"learn"on the M2, and bump the specs up to what you need them to be on the M3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.