Need help deciding Macbook Pro Configuration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mark-Technology, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Mark-Technology, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011

Mark-Technology macrumors member

Hey,

I have been trying to decide which Macbook Pro 15" Model and configuration I should get. (How to get best technology for a decent price)

So far I have found out that SSD is a better option since I can use an external hdd if I need more memory.

I am thinking of this model and specifications as of now :

15-inch: 2.2 GHz
    2.2GHz quad-core
    Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333MHz
    500GB 5400-rpm1
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB GDDR5
    Built-in battery (7 hours)2

Specifications
    2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x2GB
    128GB Solid State Drive
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display
    Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide

The questions I have are whether the gpu will be enough for games such as Call Of Duty or minecraft; or streaming high quality videos on youtube etc. (I don't want any lag or problems)

How big of a difference is there between 4gb and 8gb ram;
    what is the difference between - 2.2ghz and 2.4 ghz;
    and what is the difference between 512mb AMD Radeon HD 6750M GDDR5 ---Vs.--- 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5

Would a 128GB SSD drive suit me better than a 7200RPM HDD?

Thanks

Mark

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

no prices, the 2nd one you dont say the video cards, hard to say what one is better without that info

3. DayOfChaos macrumors 6502

Also go with a SSD if you can. BUT if you do get a hard drive, get at least 7400RPM. Much better.

4. Mark-Technology thread starter macrumors member

Just updated my post a little.

I am planning to go with SSD 128GB

I just need the differences between some things posted in my first post.

5. taedouni macrumors 65816

The difference between the 6770-6750 and 2.4-2.2GHZ is minimal (around 10% difference) and does not warrant the 300-400 dollar difference in price. Instead you could use that money to get a larger SSD. However I recommend that you purchase an aftermarket SSD and 8GB of RAM. 8GB of Ram is now running between 30-40 dollars depending on which brand you go with, as for SSD they have various price ranges. You can get a 256 GB SSD (Crucial) for around $400 dollars (that is double the space and performs faster than a 128GB SSD).

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT
    get the upgrades from Apple.
    They charge 200 dollars for an upgrade in RAM when you can simply pay 40 dollars to upgrade it yourself.
    Also they charge about 200-400 dollars more than it would cost to purchase and install an SSD yourself.

P.S.
    4GB vs 8GB is worth the upgrade. It's such a minimal cost when comparing the overall cost of the Macbook Pro. Especially since memory prices keep fluctuating (sometimes they decrease to be dirt cheap like they are at the moment and there are times where they are ridiculously expensive like they were about 1-2 years ago).

As for the SSD, if you can afford it. Then it's a HUGE upgrade. It won't really increase performance in games but everything will load faster, less power will be consumed (depending on size of SSD), less heat production and you will not notice ANY vibration whats soever from the SSD compared to having an HDD

6. Mark-Technology thread starter macrumors member

That is some very helpful information.

Please help me some more. I am only thinking of three upgrade options from apple.

First - Hi res glossy screen
    second - more ram 4 - 8gb (200$)
    third - SSD Drive (200$ for 128GB)

You described this above but now what would a final decision be? I realize more ram means better. ( I don't care about battery life consumption )

I rather buy more ram myself like you said.
    As for the SSD... I moved to beijing china from d.c. last month and it would take me a lot of dough to get a legit ssd drive; since they are so rare as of now and expensive.

I am thinking of this configuration as a final...TELL ME YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE-SHOULD I GO WITH IT?

----

2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x2GB
    128GB Solid State Drive
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display

----

I'll upgrade the ram myself and that's that. Since the ghz doesn't really give me that much of an increase from 2.2 to 2.4 i'll stay at 2.2.

Thanks.

EDIT - The price
    $2,099.00

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

you can get both the SSD and RAM cheaper after market, the SSD maybe not cheaper but the same price, looks like the only option apple can give you that you cant get cheaper yourself is the screen