Need help deciding on a camera

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by strausd, Nov 17, 2010.

1. strausd macrumors 68030

So right now I have a Canon XSi. It has been a great camera but I really need something with video. I am on a little bit of a budget right now considering the amount spent on my Mac Pro, but my budget is a little flexible.

So right now I am considering a T2i and a 60D. I am having a hard time deciding between the two because they are quite similar. The T2i with an 18-135 IS lens is about $1000 and the 60D with the same lens generally goes for $1300, however it is only $1150 from 42nd street photo, which is where I bought my XSi.

So for only a $150 difference, I am getting 5.3 FPS ( compared to 3.7 ), rotating LCD screen ( will be very useful considering it will be used for video more than photography ), and the ability to adjust the audio levels. Another thing that is not as big of a deal is that I have fairly big hands so the 60D will probably feel a bit more comfortable.

My main question is if you think the extra $150 is worth it or not. Another thing to consider is that I could use the $150 I am saving to go towards a Rode Videomic, which I hear is almost a necessity considering the built in mics on these are awful.

If you have any other ideas I would love to hear them!

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I think from what you have said here you have justified the extra price in your head.

If you think about the maybe 2-3+ years you will have the body that these small things will actually make quite a big difference.

Just having a look at some of the other differences and I have found that the 60d has an interchangeable focusing screen, Integrated Speedlite Transmitter, 1/8000 shutter speed and a stronger Aluminium and polycarbonate resin with glass fibre body.

These points with the ones that you have mentioned before I would say definitely make it a worth while purchase.

3. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Have you shot video with a DSLR before? I don't mean to beat a dead horse in all of these threads, but far too many people think these things are suitable video cameras right out of the box. So I'd advise you to look into all of the limitations and associated costs involved.

If you can find either of these models as a "body only" package, then I'd go that route. Invest the saved money in better lenses. The kit lenses are mostly crap for video.

4. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

Yes I have. My friend and I actually followed a Gizmodo DIY over spring break to build a white room. It took us about 2 months to build and another few weeks to get the lighting right. We have shot tons of video in it and we use a 5D mark II.

I am in the process of building another studio for myself and want a new DSLR, one that can also get video. I have thought about the body only kit, but then I would have to use the standard 18-55 IS lens that came with my XSi until I can get money for a better lens, which would take a while. I also want to sell my XSi kit before I buy the 60D and having the lens would make it easier to sell. And the body only is $1000 and for only $150 more it will come with an 18-135 IS lens, not bad for $150 IMO.

I am definitely leaning towards to 60D, but saving $150 for the kit with the t2i and getting a rode videomic is very tempting as well....