Need help deciding on a monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Davit268, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Davit268 macrumors newbie

As the title states, I'm going crazy trying to find a monitor for my new mac pro. Right now I have an iMac and before that I've always had the monitors that came with the computer, but with my newest purchase and my living arrangements, student living, I need a monitor that I can use for everything.

I've been looking around the internet seeing whats out there, but there are no places within 50 miles that sell any of the displays, so I can't get my hands on them to test them. Therefore, I am reaching out for some help.

What I'm looking for:
    22"-24"
    Able for my XBOX to hook up to it
    Good refresh rate
    Cheaper then $400

I don't care if it has built in speakers or a camera. Able to use it as a tv would be cool, but not worried about that feature.

Samsung 2343BWX-Has a big resolution and good contrast ratio
    http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/...AA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=features

Samsung 2494SW-Not to pricey and good contrast
    http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/...m/LS24KIZKFV/ZA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

LG W2361VG-PF-Has a great response time
    http://www.lge.com/us/computer-products/monitors/LG-lcd-monitor-W2361VG-PF.jsp

LG W2286L-Stunning! Ridiculous contrast ratio. Great response time.
    http://www.lge.com/us/computer-products/monitors/LG-W2286L.jsp

Those are what I have been tossing around in my head as of now and by no means am I stuck to them. I'm open to feedback and any input I can get.

-Davit

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Odd, you seem to state your question and answer it in one post.
    The one you called "Stunning! Ridiculous contrast ratio. Great response time" seems like the winner with two HDMI ports alongside the DVI.

3. Davit268 thread starter macrumors newbie

I say stunning about the LG because of its elegance. Its more of the wow factor that makes me like that one.

What I would like to know is if any body owns or has tested one of the monitors I posted. Also, if someone could point me in different directions. Open me up to some more options.

4. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

Personally i'm looking to get two of these sooner or later, they're not TN panels and suspiciously cheap. I think it also spins portrait mode for the critical ability to play triggerheart exelica properly!

Also built in speakers will always be crap, ive currently got a SM2493hm (predecessor to your second pick) and the sound is pretty poor out of it. Mine has a audio out though so i connect it to my macs speaker system when i want to play games.

EDIT: also just personal preference, but i never think a monitor should be coloured or tinted a specific colour. It will look more dated in 5 years and hey, why would you want a red boarder on your screen when the screen is displaying a image/movie/game in a different tonal palette?

5. Old HellPaso macrumors newbie

I am using the 27inch LG W2753V-PF that is around ~$380. Has 1 HDMI, 1 DVI and 1 VGA. It is connected to my mac-mini (via DVI) that I use for photos, video and garageband, internet etc. I also have it connected to my PC (games ;-) and I am using the HDMI connection for a DVD recorder to watch HDTV etc (still haven't gone blu-ray yet, maybe a PS3 soon I dunno).
    Anyway the display is VERY bright and clear and I can sit on my couch in my studio apartment and watch movies/TV etc from across the room when not using the computers. It has no built in speakers, but then it's a monitor and not a TV set. It does have a stereo audio line out so you can pick up the audio from the HDMI connection which is decent for headphones, but you're better off just hooking up a sound system to your game system / dvd player,etc. I have no complaints and have been using it for three months now.