Need help deciding on a video card!!@!@!

Jdm_rsx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2004
363
0
Honolulu, Hawaii
well, i want to hook up my computer to my TV, so i can watch the movies that i download instead of burning them all the time

im looking this
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=304459&pfp=BROWSE
thats 149.99 USD

also this..
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=310589&pfp=BROWSE
thats 199.99 USD
whats the difference between these 2?

lastly this..
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=311199&pfp=BROWSE
thats about 199.99 USD after rebates

any other better suggestions?

thanks !
 

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
988
0
Sydney, Australia
Jdm_rsx said:
well, i want to hook up my computer to my TV, so i can watch the movies that i download instead of burning them all the time
thanks !
Provided your current video card has a DVI output, this $19 DVI to Video converter from Apple might make more sense than buying a whole new video card.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...yt2vkCXabcXGTXt70/3.0.11.1.0.6.12.1.31.1.17.0

Edit: Apple claims this adapter will only work with the PowerMac G5 and the Mac mini, but I don't know if that is only because they are the only two Macs in the current lineup to include DVI jacks as standard (without an existing video-out port like on the 15" and 17" PowerBooks). It may work with anything with a DVI socket, but I can't be sure.
 

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
2,756
0
Melbourne, Australia
The ATI Radeon 9600 XT is the faster model of that card even though the specs for some reason say they are exactly the same, the first 2 will work fine for TV output but I'd be getting the XT model.

The ATI 9600 XT All In Wonder is based on the same chipset as the second with less RAM, what you are paying for there is a built in radio/TV tuner, and the video/audio inputs if you want to watch TV on your computer, or would like a way to import and record video this card is a nice option.
 

Jdm_rsx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2004
363
0
Honolulu, Hawaii
i was really leaning towards the 2nd card, its a decent price and lots of ram

all of those cards have the same inputs right?

actually i want to watch my computer movies on TV

would that be possible?
 

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
2,756
0
Melbourne, Australia
Jdm_rsx said:
i was really leaning towards the 2nd card, its a decent price and lots of ram

all of those cards have the same inputs right?

actually i want to watch my computer movies on TV

would that be possible?
If you mean do they all have the same outputs yes. All 3 cards have TV output so yes you could use any of them for watching movies on your TV.
 

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
2,175
2
Las Vegas, NV
oingoboingo said:
Edit: Apple claims this adapter will only work with the PowerMac G5 and the Mac mini, but I don't know if that is only because they are the only two Macs in the current lineup to include DVI jacks as standard (without an existing video-out port like on the 15" and 17" PowerBooks). It may work with anything with a DVI socket, but I can't be sure.
The reason for that is only the Power Mac G5 and Mac mini have DVI-I (as opposed to DVI-D on everything else). The 12" PowerBooks have their own specialized S-video/composite adapter but you couldn't connect the DVI to S-video/composite adapter to the 12" PB's mini-DVI to DVI adapter and expect it to work.

One neat thing about using the Power Mac G5's DVI to S-video/composite adapter is in System Preferences - Displays you can turn overscan on and off.
 

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
1,672
0
Ottawa, ON
Jdm_rsx said:
a friend kept on telling me to stay from 3rd party brand names such as the visiontek

what do u guys think?
I don't know what your friend has been smoking, but most of these companies just use the reference design to manufacture their cards anyway so they're exactly the same as the ATI/Nvidia made cards (except for maybe the cooling solution, which is usually better, or PCB color).

I had a MSI made Geforce 3 that lasted me for over two years before I upgraded. It worked like a charm
 

Toreador93

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2003
190
0
First of all, you don't need a special card to output video. Most video cards have VGA or S-Video which, with a proper cable, will output video to your tv.

All-in-wonders are tuners, so you can watch tv on your computer, and "watch your computer" on your tv.

Also, shop at www.newegg.com . It's usually much cheaper than a place like CompUSA or Best Buy. For example this 9600XT 256mb is slightly cheaper, yet faster than the cards you posted.
 

Jdm_rsx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2004
363
0
Honolulu, Hawaii
Toreador93 said:
First of all, you don't need a special card to output video. Most video cards have VGA or S-Video which, with a proper cable, will output video to your tv.

All-in-wonders are tuners, so you can watch tv on your computer, and "watch your computer" on your tv.

Also, shop at www.newegg.com . It's usually much cheaper than a place like CompUSA or Best Buy. For example this 9600XT 256mb is slightly cheaper, yet faster than the cards you posted.
thank you for the recommendation

im very new to video cards and just all this stuff
this sapphire will allow me to watch MOVIES ON MY COMPUTER on MY TV right?
sorry about caps but i jus want to be sure

anyone else had experience with sapphire? is it like visiontek ? another 3rd party brand name?

mahalos..!
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.