Need help deciding on first iMac/MB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by J&JPolangin, Mar 22, 2009.

1. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

Being stationed overseas in Japan is difficult to have computers shipped from the Apple refurb store or I'd consider getting a 2.0 UMB (with the exception of the worrysome denting case issue).

I can get the following from the local on-base NEX:
    1. 20" iMac 2.4 Ghz last years model NIB for $979 close out last one
    2. 13" white book current model 2.0 w/ 9400M graphics for $949 last one
    3. 20" iMac 2.66 Ghz current model NIB for $1,189 but if I spend that much money I figure that I'd go for the 24" iMac with the better display pannel, double the RAM and double the HDD...

This is my first Mac of any kind as I refuse to use Vista systems - they are a PITA and my wife wants a Mac anyway...I have several other PC's all running WinXP and they work but aren't the fastest things any more as the desk top is already 9 yrs old now:eek: and I have a Toshiba 1905-s303, Sony PCG-TR33A and an eeePC 1000H.

I'm looking for the best value out of the above choices and I won't spend more than $1489 for the 24" iMac but I don't feel I really want/need to spend that much $$ for the "slight" increase in specs.

Any advise would be welcome.

V/r,
    Jeff

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Id go for the iMac. More bankg for the buck and its sooo nice. Get the 24 incher you will love it.

3. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I think the 20" 2.4 is a better deal. If I bought the MB, I'd still have to buy a KB, Mouse & Display.

4. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Get the number 1: the iMac at less than a 1000 bucks, you can upgrade the RAM later for cheap (less than 50 USD for 4 GB), and since it is a desktop, you could buy a 1TB external harddrive for about 115 Bucks if needed.

5. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I just bought the iMac you are thinking about getting. It's a great computer for the price. I paid $999 for the 20" 2.4Ghz iMac, but my Apple dealer also threw in an extra 1 GB of RAM for free. I was upgrading from an early 2006 20" Core Duo and I definitely notice the performance improvement.

I agree with the other people that think you should go for the 2.4 Ghz iMac for that price.

6. J&JPolangin thread starter macrumors 68030

...the more I think about the 24" iMac, I don't think I want to spend that much on my first Mac computer - RAM and HDD's are cheap to upgrade and the 9400M graphics don't lead me to believe spending the extra $$ on the larger display panel would worth the $$.

...I have a 19" Sharp LCD I could use along with a wired keyboard and wireless keyboard/mouse set - in blue tooth or standard USB.

...I have a 1 TB external HDD that I was going to network to an AEBS a couple weeks ago but apple announced the new dual band AEBS's so I returned the old model for a full credit in anticipation of the new model arriving at the base store.

7. J&JPolangin thread starter macrumors 68030

...another question I have is the ATI 2400 GPU with 128 mb of DDR3 memory, how would that compare to the NVidia 9400 GPU with shared memory (up to 256 mb - but shared)?

Will the discrete GPU be better, same or worse than the newer GPU?

8. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I would think that the shared NVidia 9400 might be slightly better because it does have a little more memory then the ATI Radeon 2400 XT and it is a newer design. It comes down to how you use your computer. I am not a gamer so I was not that concerned with the graphics capability.

So far I find that the GPU in my iMac performs about the same as the x1600 that I had in my white Core Duo, but seems to do better with HD material.