Need help deciding on new iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kmanmx, Apr 5, 2012.

1. kmanmx macrumors 6502

Sorry if there have been a load of threads the same.

I'll try and keep this fairly quick, though I do have a tendency to go on a bit - so apologies beforehand :)

I was a late comer to the original iPad, it was just a birthday gift about 6 months after release. The 32gb Wifi + 3G model. I liked it, thought it was great for viewing photos on. But I was underwhelmed with the availability of good apps, I thought it was pretty ugly, and there wasn't any huge feature that I couldn't do without, so over the initial weeks and months I used it less and less and returned to my PC (Yep, PC, would love an iMac but have never had £999 in cash all at once).

Then being a techie, the iPad 2 was announced and I fell in love. I paid over the odds to get it from the US, so I had it a week earlier than the UK release. This time the 'cool' factor wore off even quicker. It looked great, I was happy about that, and it had the new A5 processor. But yet again, not a lot to show for it. It had this supposedly amazing processor yet so few apps seemed to ever take advantage of it, and those that did, were not much better than other versions. The cameras sucked too, and there were no other features. So I sold that one too. That was about 6 months ago.

And now finally the 3rd gen iPad. And yet again, I really want it. But I am equally aware I could fall into the same trap again, and end up not using it after a couple of weeks. I was going to get one for launch day, but chose a PS Vita instead - great device, but being a initial supporter you pay the price of no decent software, and I don't think they've perfected the thumbsticks.. and the browser sucks, and still no good Firmware update to fix anything I find problematic. So thats another device I don't use :p

What i'm here to ask is how is everyone finding the new iPad ? Does the retina display change everything ? I love the retina display on my iPhone, using it over my 3GS was life changing to a techie like me :cool: I am a keen photographer, so the idea of a portable 2048x1536 display with a much better colour gamut than the already good old iPad display is certainly enticing. And cameras that are actually usable.. I love to take pictures no matter how stupid I look. A camera with a 9.7" high res live viewfinder ? yes please!

So that is the scenario. I really want to believe I will love the new iPad and use it regularly for as long as I have it (If i get it..) but I have my doubts. If anyone on here found they didn't use the previous two versions, but love this version, I would love to hear your opinion. If not, i'd like some thoughts on the situation from everyone :)

Looks like I typed too much again!

Thanks in advanced.

2. ano0oj macrumors 6502

There are a million threads about this every day.

3. sza macrumors 6502

The most cost effective model is the 499 one. For another 16gb, you have to pay 100 dollars more, which only accounts for 10 dollars for it's manufacture fee.

Apple makes more money from 32 and 64gb model. But you got the iCloud, just put something there so you won't need too much storage.

Save your money for something else.:)

4. doboy macrumors 68000

If you didn't find the first two versions useful then this won't change anything. Just save your money and buy an iMac.

5. Mikekan macrumors regular

I think the ipad is not for you, I am so addicted to it the last year and a half, I do everything with the ipad, no more laptops.

You will probably regret buying it again.

6. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I agree. With all the money you've wasted on unused gadgets, you could've been bought an iMac.

7. matttye macrumors 601

The new iPad is basically an improved iPad 2 (mostly improved anyway; it's heavier and thicker too :p). If you didn't like the iPad 2 it's unlikely you'll like the new one either. There's not a massive amount of differences between the two devices. I'm sure the display is incredible, but the display only changes how you view things, it doesn't change what you can actually do.

If you felt limited in what you could do on the iPad 2 because of the display, then the iPad 3 may be for you, but aside from that there's not going to be a whole lot of difference.

The iPad isn't really a serious camera, it's impractical. You'll most likely find yourself only using it for quick point and shoots, and what's the point in that when the iPhone has a better camera? Neither of the two will make up for a dedicated camera either!

So there's the camera, the display, the improved GPU (which will probably only improve performance when you're playing games that weren't designed for the retina display), LTE (if it's available where you live) and that's about it.. text dictation? How often are you going to use that in all honesty? Maybe it's just me but I feel like a prat dictating into my devices.. I don't want everybody around me hearing what texts and messages I'm sending to people.

It's your choice but the upgrades over the iPad 2 are minimal.

8. Capt T macrumors 6502a

If you didn't find a use for the first two, I would not bother with this one. I really like my 3gen iPad, but also really liked the one I had before it. Since the initial release of the 1st gen one I have used the iPad every day. For work as well as for casual use.

As to the vita, what games did you pick up?

9. noteple macrumors 65816

Buy it, you know you want it. :)

In your case look at it as a larger iPhone 4s that cannot make calls.

Same apps, larger screen and a usable camera.

If that appeals to you go for it.

10. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

You've already failed to find any use for two iPads. This is the same product. Yes, it has a better screen and better cameras, but the functionality and selection of apps is pretty much the same. If you couldn't find any apps that we're useful to you on the first two, there probably aren't any now.

if you really, really think the camera will make a difference that's one thing, but keep in mind that taking pictures with the iPad is pretty awkward. I do it a lot, because I have a baby and my iPad is often closer at hand than my camera when I want to quickly capture something. but I would never try to replace a normal camera with it for times when I'm planning to take pics and can grab the camera.

11. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I don't think you have typed too much. If anything, I love reading heartfelt soliloquies like this, as I like to hear about the thoughts and rationalisations that go behind each though and decision. :)

I got my ipad delivered on launch day (via pre-order). This is my first ipad, and I am having problems putting it down. I am still exploring its possibilities, and seeing how it can be integrated into my life.

So far, I am slowly digitising my work and storing them online, to be retrieved as and when I need them. Like a clipboard that never fills up, gets cluttered or goes missing. As a school teacher, it is fairly handy to have around, I can bring up textbooks (scanned), lesson plans, checklists (which I use to keep track of homework submissions and other administrative matters) etc, basically any document I require at a moment's notice. I am considering getting the vga adaptor to plug in to my classroom's smartboard in place of the school tablet pc.

This is one area in which the higher resolution really makes itself felt. I find the words on the screen are noticeably clearer and sharper compared to the ipad2. I am not a photo guy, so I have no idea how they look though.

In hindsight, I might just as been as well off getting a refurbed ipad2 instead, but I was like, what the heck, if I want a tablet, I may as well get the latest model. I went with the 64gb+4g version, however, I find that the base 16gb wifi-only version would have fit my needs comfortably. Still, I am hesitant to trade down as I never know what I might need the extra memory for in the future. :p

12. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Lol, there's an obvious pattern. iPad clearly is nothing more than "oh cool, a new gadget." novelty device to you. A high resolution screen isn't going to change your life, considering your problems with the past two iPads appear to be nothing to do with their screens. Save the money for an iMac, MacBook, or whatever.

13. Macclone macrumors 6502

If people stop responding to these redundant threads, would that eliminate new ones?

OP no need for an iPad until you can use google or the search feature on this site. And if you were actually sorry, why a multi paragraph post?

14. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I was not sure how I would use my new iPad. I never bought the first/second generation models simply because I did not see myself using them. With the hi-res display in the new iPad, I could not hold back - I had to have one! So far, I love it. I've not used it quite as much as I thought I would but I still take it with me everywhere I go because of the size. Way easier than lugging around my Mac.

15. kmanmx thread starter macrumors 6502

Uncharted, Wipeout, Motorstorm RC, Rayman, Marvel vs Capcom.

A lot of people surround this device with amazing words and praise, I will give you a true story.

Right analogue stick for precision aiming is a joke. It's not even close to the analogue sticks on the 360 controller or ps3 controller. It's good for rotating a camera and thats about it. It's too loose and the throw is tiny.

The screen is nice, generally. But it's not particularly bright, and color accuracy is problematic.

The OS needs work. It does stupid things like telling you its signing in to PSN with about 4 seperate pop up messages.

I could go on, but this is not the right forum.

-------------------------------------------------------------

As for everyone else. Thanks for your opinions.
    TLDR ? Yeah, I know, but don't say I didn't warn you.

Problem with the old two ipads is not that I didn't like them exactley. There was just something about them which made me use them less and less, and go back to my PC. It's not that I don't like them, I think they are great devices in general. Theres just something that pushes me away.. I could never put my finger on it. Maybe it was the low res screen ? I don't know..

This is why it's so awkward. I will defend the iPad to it's death against android. I always talk about it to new people, and would love to have one. But in the back of my mind I am always wondering whether I will keep using it much.

As for saving up for an iMac... I made a white lie there. I have previously owned a 2011 iMac. I was saving up to buy a car, but, well, the new iMac was just released...so I bought one. Used it for 2 months, realised I do really need a car, and sold it again :mad: I still miss it, and hate my car for it :p

Don't like it, don't read it. It's courteous. It's like saying sorry that you have to leave a party early. Saying sorry when you cheated on your girlfriend. You are sorry, you really are, but your still going to do it. Human brain is messed up.

I can use google. I can search too. I can read through 50 threads of people who arn't quite in the same situation as me, wasting many hours in doing so. Or I can make a new post, tailored to exactley what I want to hear, and ignore the comments from haters.

16. CandyNJ66 macrumors regular

Absolutely the gorgeous Retina display makes a HUGE difference to me. The Retina wallpapers are incredibly beautiful, so much so that I can't believe that level of depth exists on my iPad home screen. The downside is poor quality videos that looked acceptable or so so on the previous iPads, will look crap on the high res New iPad screen depending on the source.

Retina optimized apps /games like Real Racing 2 HD look ridiculous (in a good sense lol) and are super fun to use. It makes games a joy and apps that much more enjoyable! The A5x processor and 1 gig of ram (double the ram & Triple the ram of the iPad original) helps a lot because there is NO checker boarding on Safari anymore! Intensive graphics pages usually fly open. Gaming is generally speedier, not mind blowing speedier but that double ram makes a difference alright.

I say go for it!!!! :D

17. kmanmx thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that.

Nice to hear about games performing a little better. I'd probably appreciate that more than most, actually. I'm one of those hardcore PC gamer types that spend £300 to get 10 more fps :eek:

I just wish Apple would lend me one for a week so I could make my mind up.