Need help deciding on upgrading my MacBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by davidg4781, Apr 30, 2012.

  1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2006
    Location:
    Alice, TX
    #1
    Ok, so I have a 2006 CD MacBook and I'm itching for an upgrade. My choices...

    ***Buy an aluminum C2D MacBook and I should be able to upgrade to Mountain Lion. I'd like to own one of these one day since they are rare. Problem is finding a used one online in my price range. I don't want to spend more than $600 on it. They've popped up but I didn't have the time to mess with it.

    ***Buy a C2D Black MacBook (I can handle a white, but I like the black). I won't be able to upgrade to Mountain Lion, but I can do Lion for now and be able to actually use iCloud with my iPhone.



    When I purchase it, I want to hang on to my old MacBook for a week or so to make sure it's actually stable and such. I do plan on selling my old one. I had it listed for $350 and got a lot of offers. I wouldn't mind spending just a bit right now for the Black MacBook but when ML launches I'd have to upgrade again. I think I can wait that out. It kills me not to be able to sync iCal, Address Book, and iWork stuff with my iPhone.

    Also, I recently owned a C2D iMac for about a week. I loved the performance compared to my CD MB. I know I may not get the same, but it was still a pretty big boost.
     
  2. Aaron from KY macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2010
    Location:
    Northern Kentucky
    #2
    I don't work for or get paid by them, but macofalltrades.com has an aluminum c2d macbook for $575 under their 'B' grade section. It has a small dent but looks good. I'm typing this on an early 2011 I bought from them, very professional and legit.
     
  3. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

    Medic278

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2012
    Location:
    New York
    #3
    Have you considered adding an SSD to your current machine. It will act like new and give you a few more years out of it so you can save up and buy a new machine. Thats the route I would go and you'll be pretty happy with an SSD upgrade.
     
  4. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2006
    Location:
    Alice, TX
    #4
    I'm great on speed. I just want iCloud and I can't upgrade to Lion on my MacBook.

    The aMB will get me to Mountain Lion, but I'll have to pay more and they're a bit harder to find. The bMB will be a speed boost as well and will get me to Lion. I've seen some on Craigslist for $400-450 and mac2sell pegs them at $350-450.

    I'm also wondering if I should buy now or after Mountain Lion launches. I'm guessing that aMB might be in higher demand since that'll be the least expensive option for someone wanting to upgrade to ML but not wanting to buy a new MB.

    Thoughts on that? Or will people be running to buy the newer MacBooks and ditching their old ones?
     
  5. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

    Medic278

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2012
    Location:
    New York
    #5
    If you can swing anew MBP thats the route I would go. Aluminum MB are great but they will eventually lose support because they are beaching a dated machine. YOur basically going from one dated machine to another. If you current MB is working fine then I would continue to use it and set aside some money for a new machine thats probably your best bet because you will have support for some time to come. You'll probably see people dumping their old MB because they simply want the newest out there so if you are set on buying a used machine then you may be able to catch a deal from someone who is upgrading. Just remember that the aluminum MB may be loosing support in the near future and then your in the same predicament that your in now.
     
  6. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2006
    Location:
    Alice, TX
    #6
    Yeah, I know they'll be losing support. I really just want to get in to Lion and if I can do that for $50-150 I'll be good. As for the aMB, I kind of want to buy one and keep it for a collector's deal, since it's somewhat rare. Plus, for $150 if that MacBook will last me for a couple of years I'll be happy. Right now I'm just wanting to get into Lion and iCloud.
     
  7. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

    Medic278

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2012
    Location:
    New York
    #7
    If thats they case then an aluminum MB should suit your needs pretty well. I would look for one that has at least 4GB of RAM as Lion is bit RAM hungry you can do it with 2GB but it will be sluggish. Plus the aluminum machines are really quite a beautiful product. You'll be really happy with your purchase and I hope you can find one at a deal.
     

Share This Page