need help deciding on which mac i should get.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gdeusthewhizkid, Dec 4, 2008.

1. gdeusthewhizkid macrumors 6502a

Help guys i cannot decide what mac to get. I do want a intel machine but cost is definately a issue. I don't want to settle anymore when it comes to my mac purchases. Preowned just don't cut it no more for me. check my sig i own already two macs but both are slow. I use my macs for surfing the web. Ripping videos off of youtube. Converting videos and movies into mp4 to use with my iphone. I download a ton of music and I also use logic studio with a ton of soft synths so i produce my music also.

I know a mac pro would be my best bet but i can't afford the price tag. It also would be more cost efficient because i can afford to upgrade it myself.

I love the mac book pro and mac book air but they are two expensive..

Will the new mac minis be able to do all that i need it to do. This seems the more affordable solution for me. I definately need to satisfy my mac lust and get a great machine that i can use for at least five years. help

2. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

macbook pros could do all that...i have a friend that uses his mbp with logic studio to records music and produce music and I use mine heavily with all the adobe design premium softwares and a couple high end 3d modeling programs on the windows side of my laptop, get a monitor if you really want a larger screen and i'll go ahead and say the refurb macbook pros are a amazing deal, though i understand you want a new one.

3. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks. do u know what kinda price range i should be lookin at..

4. autophile macrumors newbie

First, do you need a laptop or can you settle for a desktop? Desktops (iMac) are cheaper than laptops (MacBook/MacBook Pro).

Next, do you need a larger screen or can you settle for a smaller screen? Larger screens are most useful when you're going to do graphics or video work. Otherwise, a smaller screen may be better for you.

Finally, if you have a choice in processor speed and memory, you might consider getting the lowest processor speed to save on cost, and the lowest amount of memory. If your prospective Mac's memory is upgradable, then I'd suggest you do it yourself, as Apple memory is too expensive.

Also consider looking at the refurbished Macs at the Apple store (go to store.apple.com, scroll all the way to the bottom and click on "Refurbished Mac").

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

If you need something faster than your dual G5 then you may not want a Mini. You should be looking at a MacPro if you have many tracks in Logic. The mini is fine for web surfing and the like but the internal disk is way to slow for studio work with video or audio files and you can't make if faster. No way to add (say) and eSATA card

I think a 1.8Ghz Gz core is just as fast as a 1.8Ghz Intel core. So figure if you need to by 2X faster you'd have to buy a 3.6Ghz dual Intel dual core. But they don't make such a beast. I would not buy a new computer unless it has more than 2X faster, not worth it. To get over 2X you'd have to go with the MP.

6. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

Maybe you are a good canidate for a hackintosh? I am getting a Shuttle KPC this xmas to make a hackintosh out of.

Zack