Need help deciding on which rMBP to get! Input appreciated!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ViPa, Aug 7, 2012.

1. ViPa macrumors 6502a

I've been thinking a lot about which rMBP to get. I can't seem to decide what is best for me. I currently have a 2008 MB which is pretty much near the end of its life. I plan on using the new rMBP for approximately 3-4 years.

Main uses will be pretty simple: browsing internet, watching movies, maybe light photo/video editing, etc. I want to future proof my purchase within reasonable limits. Having a computer that can't keep up in a few years is something I want to avoid. Cost is definitely a factor, but I am dead set on a rMBP. Storage is not a huge issue as I have an external HDD.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

2. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

Based on your described usage, a base model will suit you just fine. Any "future-proofing" you do beyond that is better done by saving money now and upgrading earlier next time.

3. illini71 macrumors member

Totally agree.....

4. stevelam macrumors 65816

how is the 2008 mb reaching the end of its life when all you do is browse the internet/watch movies/light photo editing etc?

i have a 2008 macbook non-pro i've been using for work (digital design and dev). it holds up pretty well (though i did upgrade to 8gb of ram). i can't imagine your usage is taxing your 2008 machine that much.

5. ViPa thread starter macrumors 6502a

netflix and other video streaming services tend to "skip" around and don't play smoothly, i also use it to study for my board exams, and the question banks tend to lag a bit..scrolling through pics in iphoto is a nightmare..programs take longer to open and close..it just overall makes for a frustrating experience..im ready for a new laptop, even if this one is bearable

6. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

I posted a similar thread I ended up purchasing the base and I feel better after reading your responses here. My usages are the same as the Thread Starter than you. I'm probably not going to be using the 8GB RAM right away so the 16GB be overkill and I can use the extra $200.00 for accessories

7. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

Based on experience, the iPhoto stuff is going to be fixed by using an SSD instead of an HDD, even the most underpowered MBA would be free of that issue due to the built in SSD.

8. Hillskill macrumors member

Solid state storage capacity and RAM are the the key components to bump up if you can. Clock speeds and CPU upgrades are a luxury if you can afford to upgrade IMHO.

9. ViPa thread starter macrumors 6502a

ah here is the other issue..ive read conflicting posts on here about whether to upgrade the CPU or the RAM if given the choice of only bumping up one of the two..i'm a little lost as to which one would help more in the long run

10. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

it sounds like you and I had same reservations take a look at my thread I just got off live chat with Apple and posted the chat

11. Rocky244 macrumors regular

If the majority of what you are doing will be the things you listed above, then you have no reason to upgrade any part of the computer.

You are probably experiencing some slow down on your current computer due to using flash. Flash can cause a large amount of ram to be wasted, which can result in slowdowns and skips. Flash is on it's way out, and is no longer a necessity in computing, so that problem will probably not rear its head again.

In fact, with some simple optimization methods, you could probably run your current computer for another year or so. But, I totally get that you want to upgrade regardless if you can get away with the current comp, so I'm not gonna blame you there.

Point is, for the uses you have in mind, there's no real reason your new computer shouldn't last you quite a long time. Sometimes it's just fun to upgrade... But that doesn't mean that back when you bought it you should've maxed it out...