Need help deciding on which rMBP to get! Input appreciated!

ViPa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
I've been thinking a lot about which rMBP to get. I can't seem to decide what is best for me. I currently have a 2008 MB which is pretty much near the end of its life. I plan on using the new rMBP for approximately 3-4 years.

Main uses will be pretty simple: browsing internet, watching movies, maybe light photo/video editing, etc. I want to future proof my purchase within reasonable limits. Having a computer that can't keep up in a few years is something I want to avoid. Cost is definitely a factor, but I am dead set on a rMBP. Storage is not a huge issue as I have an external HDD.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
I've been thinking a lot about which rMBP to get. I can't seem to decide what is best for me. I currently have a 2008 MB which is pretty much near the end of its life. I plan on using the new rMBP for approximately 3-4 years.

Main uses will be pretty simple: browsing internet, watching movies, maybe light photo/video editing, etc. I want to future proof my purchase within reasonable limits. Having a computer that can't keep up in a few years is something I want to avoid. Cost is definitely a factor, but I am dead set on a rMBP.

Based on your described usage, a base model will suit you just fine. Any "future-proofing" you do beyond that is better done by saving money now and upgrading earlier next time.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010

Main uses will be pretty simple: browsing internet, watching movies, maybe light photo/video editing, etc. I want to future proof my purchase within reasonable limits. Having a computer that can't keep up in a few years is something I want to avoid. Cost is definitely a factor, but I am dead set on a rMBP. Storage is not a huge issue as I have an external HDD.

how is the 2008 mb reaching the end of its life when all you do is browse the internet/watch movies/light photo editing etc?

i have a 2008 macbook non-pro i've been using for work (digital design and dev). it holds up pretty well (though i did upgrade to 8gb of ram). i can't imagine your usage is taxing your 2008 machine that much.

ViPa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
netflix and other video streaming services tend to "skip" around and don't play smoothly, i also use it to study for my board exams, and the question banks tend to lag a bit..scrolling through pics in iphoto is a nightmare..programs take longer to open and close..it just overall makes for a frustrating experience..im ready for a new laptop, even if this one is bearable

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
Based on your described usage, a base model will suit you just fine. Any "future-proofing" you do beyond that is better done by saving money now and upgrading earlier next time.
Totally agree.....

I posted a similar thread I ended up purchasing the base and I feel better after reading your responses here. My usages are the same as the Thread Starter than you. I'm probably not going to be using the 8GB RAM right away so the 16GB be overkill and I can use the extra $200.00 for accessories

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
netflix and other video streaming services tend to "skip" around and don't play smoothly, i also use it to study for my board exams, and the question banks tend to lag a bit..scrolling through pics in iphoto is a nightmare..programs take longer to open and close..it just overall makes for a frustrating experience..im ready for a new laptop, even if this one is bearable
Based on experience, the iPhoto stuff is going to be fixed by using an SSD instead of an HDD, even the most underpowered MBA would be free of that issue due to the built in SSD.

Hillskill

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
Solid state storage capacity and RAM are the the key components to bump up if you can. Clock speeds and CPU upgrades are a luxury if you can afford to upgrade IMHO.

ViPa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
Solid state storage capacity and RAM are the the key components to bump up if you can. Clock speeds and CPU upgrades are a luxury if you can afford to upgrade IMHO.
ah here is the other issue..ive read conflicting posts on here about whether to upgrade the CPU or the RAM if given the choice of only bumping up one of the two..i'm a little lost as to which one would help more in the long run

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
ah here is the other issue..ive read conflicting posts on here about whether to upgrade the CPU or the RAM if given the choice of only bumping up one of the two..i'm a little lost as to which one would help more in the long run
it sounds like you and I had same reservations take a look at my thread I just got off live chat with Apple and posted the chat

Rocky244

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
If the majority of what you are doing will be the things you listed above, then you have no reason to upgrade any part of the computer.

You are probably experiencing some slow down on your current computer due to using flash. Flash can cause a large amount of ram to be wasted, which can result in slowdowns and skips. Flash is on it's way out, and is no longer a necessity in computing, so that problem will probably not rear its head again.

In fact, with some simple optimization methods, you could probably run your current computer for another year or so. But, I totally get that you want to upgrade regardless if you can get away with the current comp, so I'm not gonna blame you there.

Point is, for the uses you have in mind, there's no real reason your new computer shouldn't last you quite a long time. Sometimes it's just fun to upgrade... But that doesn't mean that back when you bought it you should've maxed it out...