Need help deciding please lend a hand

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tx26257, Jun 29, 2011.

1. tx26257 macrumors member

Ok I'm deciding between two different refurb MacBook pro
    1. 2010 13 dual core
    2. 2011 13 i5

The deference with tax is only 130.00

What I will be doing is
    1 word processing, spreadsheets PDF
    2. Some photo editing on the go I also have 27 inch iMac for most but MacBook will be doing some
    3. Manage my iTunes- music, video
    4. will use bootcamp and window 7 for some work related items I don't mind rebooting in-between
    5. Web browsing, some netflix while travel

I'm for sure want a 13 inch size

I'm not a gamer and don't expect to use much in the way of intense 3d
    graphics.

Now the 130 I could save could be used to upgrade ram to 8gb if I see I need it. Do you guys think for just 130.00 difference it's a no brainer or is the 130 best spent else where

2. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

First of all, here's a hand. [hand here]

Second of all, I'd highly recommend the '11. The larger hard drive is perfect because you'll have more room to give your Windows partition, faster processor will be nice (btw, i5 is dual core too. On the 15" and 17" it's quad). Thunderbolt could be nice just incase it takes off one day. And thankfully you don't plan on doing a lot of gaming on it, because the very small decrease in graphics power from the '10 to '11 won't effect you. The CPU upgrade will effect you more. Also, you won't need the RAM for what you're doing. You really won't. If you did a lot of gaming, and video editing then I'd recommend it. But it doesn't look like you'll cap off your 4GB at all with normal use.

3. tx26257 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice and yes I know both are dual core was just tring go differentiate them by using the I5

4. tx26257 thread starter macrumors member

When you are saying video editing what do you mean. Im also thinking of using handbrake to rip my movies over so that I can store on external hard drive

5. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

I'd go for the 2011 model. It's noticeable faster than the 2010 model and it has the Thunderbolt port.

If you're not in a hurry, wait for the MacBook Air in August. For your kind of usage this should be really nice.

PS: don't forget to return all the hands you borrowed.

6. tx26257 thread starter macrumors member

I decided to go with 2011 since I do allot of photo shop