Need help deciding to buy RAM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lordking65, Nov 23, 2010.

1. lordking65 macrumors regular

I was looking around ebay and I found a 4GB DDR3 SODIMM PC3-8500 ram (1x4GB) for around $55 for my MBP and if i add that to my computer, i would have 5GB of RAM

But then I found other deals of 4GB of ram (2x2GB) for around $35-$45.

Should i get the single 4gb or the 2 2gb? (what do you think is a better deal?)

A friend of mine told me that having 2 2gb is faster than having a 1gb and a 4gb, is that true? is there a noticable speed difference?

Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Using same capacity RAM modules (two 2GB or 4GB modules) gives a slight (8-10 % or so) in RAM performance increase due to dual channel mode, but it is hardly noticeable. The 5GB route will give you a better deal, as less paging out will occur, unless you don't even fill out 2 or 4 GB RAM due to your usage.

Btw, as you might know, many posters here are from where you are and are mostly already asleep, thus this thread will not get that much views or replies, therefore creating duplicate thread is not really necessary, it even violates forum rules.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

5GB should be faster due to the extra 1GB. I would get 1x4GB because that makes it easier to add more in the future

4. hzxu macrumors regular

There are places where you can buy a 8GB kit(2x4GB) ram, which only cost a little bit more than a standalone 4GB and another 1GB, that is, if you can afford one 4GB and one 1GB, buying two 4GBs won't cost you a limb and a leg.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's quite likely that OP has at least one 1GB stick in his Mac already.

6. lordking65, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010

lordking65 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I already have 2x1GB in my MBP.

Also, I can't figure this out, i know it speed but, will it matter what "PC3-****" i get? will it all be compatible with my [mid-2009] MBP if i make sure it's DDR3 and PC3?

for example, will THIS work?