Need help deciding to keep iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by somewhere21, Feb 13, 2011.

1. somewhere21 macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm a fairly new mac user after getting the Air 11, and I love it. After 8 years with Verizon, I went on the 10th to pick up the iPhone on impulse. The problem is I've had the original droid for the last year and am not sure if I feel the iPhone is the best fit for me. I am not trolling here just really torn. I love the smoothness and look of the iPhone yet there are many things that I feel the droid has that I am missing already. Maybe there is someone who has been in this position that can help. I think maybe that I just might like the annoying problems of the droid over the simpleness, if that makes sense.
    Thanks for any help.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Pick the phone that best fits your needs, if you need convincing, then the iPhone is not for you.

My cousin upgraded from The Droid X to an iPhone 4 this week and immediately said that she is never going back to droid. She didn't need to be convinced, she knew right away that the iPhone was for her.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

We might be able to better help you if you could specify what it is you are missing on the iPhone.

That said, there is no one device that is perfect for everyone. Only you can decide if what you gain by using an iPhone outweighs what you are missing by leaving your Android phone. I would suggest writing out a pro/con list for each device. It might help you come to a decision. Good luck.

4. Macloven, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011

Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

I'm considering an iphone, presently using an Eris Droid and have the same concerns. But fortunately have the benefit of just purchasing an iphone for my wife. So I'm experimenting with it quite a bit to see if I can get it to do what I need and am used to on the droid. So far, there are different approaches to things but no major obstacles. I miss all the free widget apps but most are available at the app store for $.99 so not that big of a deal.

Her battery life is better than mine with all radios on all the time, so the radio widgets I rely on are a bit unneeded anyways. Texting is comparable with emojis, gps not as good but mapquest for free isn't bad, etc etc. Overall I like her phone more and it took WAY less wrestling to get email to work right, wireless etc. with the biggest drawback being the lack of flexible notification methods. I guess there are some options out there, and sure Apple will deal with them eventually.

Both phones have pros and cons, and neither is bad or perfect. If you have a mission critical use for the phone and it doesn't do it, I'd return it. Otherwise thinking the overall iphone experience will be better.

mg

5. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

I left the Droid Eris and am not looking back. The phones are in two different classes. I do miss some of the customization of Android, but the battery life is twice as good here. Amazing considering the phone is twice as fast & responsive. No lag on the iPhone. Not to mention most of the apps are more refined.

To the original poster, what are you looking for in a phone? I agree with making a list of pros & cons.

6. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

I had a droid before my vzw iPhone... never looking back... I hate the android OS... its so buggy and always froze.

7. somewhere21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not going into notifications.
    1)Safari seems to only auto fit a couple ways, does not seem to do it after multi-touching in closer
    2)does everything always have to be in the same position when you go back? Change a setting, go home, go back to settings same place hit back three times?
    3) never thought this would bother me but I hate hitting sleep, slide unlock, and weather just to see the temp
    4) should have researched how this this phone has almost no custom features compared to other devices

Complaining on the last two, and yes research helps.

8. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Jailbreaking opens up a lot of items on the iPhone.

9. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

To me, the phone is also my entertainment device while traveling (Internet, email, text, music, movies, etc.).

I was anti-Apple for most of my life, and finally realized the "experience" is just to much to ignore. Like you, I made the switch to 'Mac' so my mobile choice is obvious.

I want all my components to play nice together. My household is in the process of completely converting to Apple. Their personal computers along with their other solutions (AppleTV, Airport Extreme) just work for me! Therefore, I want in an ecosystem that grows with the company (iTunes).

About a year ago, I was torn between Android or Apple. Because I wanted ease of use between all devices I went Apple. I understand Android may have this feature or that, but for my money I want a devices that will mature with my computers and family over time. Apple has a great track record in terms of updates, stability, and innovation. I don't have to worry about all the techno mumbo jumbo. It just works!

Like the poster above says, if you need convincing your probably not ready to switch.

10. Geffen macrumors 6502

I also had a Droid Eris before upgrading to the iphone 4 and the iphone 4 is so much better than the Eris especially with battery life. i'm very happy with my iphone 4 however if i were you i would go with what others are saying and make a list of pros and cons of both phones because ultimately it is your decision to make.

11. somewhere21 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am in interested in jailbreaking. How is the stability and personalizing compared to rooting and android device.

12. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Well if anything is wrong it will just crash the springboard and put the phone into safemode, as long as you get the correct versions of things they are very stable in jailbreak mode. Many personalizations available and about unlimited repo sources.

13. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

if you are into your phone being outdated the moment you get your phone plus into having UI updated everyday but nothing else to do and esp interested in apps that's been outdated.. yeah.. switch over to droid..

14. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Yes because Droid updates soooo much :rolleyes:

So Google releases new Android...Motorola, HTC, Samsung, LG, etc...then take another 3 months before its ported to the phone.

15. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

:rolleyes:

It's not that bad. You apparently have not used Android for an extended period of time or feel the need to excessively exaggerate.

16. somewhere21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Very interesting. Did you read my original post?

17. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

If you don't think it's best fit for you then return it. Use your droid. It's just that simple.
    I wouldn't even care for the Droid for the next two years but that's just me.

18. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

I'd first take some time to get used to it. If still out of question after a few days, I would certainly stick to the Droid if I were you.

19. bizfox macrumors member

I came from several BBs and Android-based phones, and to be honest, the only feature I missed from them was their notification system. After jailbreaking my iPhone 4, I'm finding that this device finally works well for me. Like another poster said, list some pros/cons before making a decision. If you're comfortable with JBing, try it... you may even like it :) If not, it's still cool... whatever works best for ya...

20. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Seriously? Are you really that incapable of deciding for yourself which phone is better suited to your needs? You should buy things for yourself, not to please others... :rolleyes: