Need help deciding whether to upgrade to 4G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by softwareguy256, Jun 13, 2010.

1. softwareguy256 macrumors regular

I found out I can sell my iphone 3Gs for a nice profit. The concern I have is the data plan and the tethering. I have the free utiltiy that gives me free tether on 3GS. I have used that several times although not regularly. It is comforting to know that I have internet for my macbook where I am and not pay usurious fees to AT&T.

My fear is that if I upgrade to iphone 4G or even upgrade 3GS to iOS 4, the tether will no longer work. Does anyone know for a fact?

2. cowsrus macrumors 6502

if you have owned an iphone before june 7th then you get to keep your unlimited data plan, so long as they port mywi over to 4.0 (they have no reason not to) then you should be fine without having to pay anything more than the $30 a month

3. softwareguy256 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, my concern is that little program i used to get the free tether might not work on iOS4 or iphone 4. Then I will be stuck with paying AT&T monthly for what I used to get for free.

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Get MyWi it is way better than anything you are using and only cost $10. You can pirate it if you are so inclined.

5. coasterswim macrumors 6502

I bet the utility he is using is, in fact, MyWi. He's worried it won't be compatible with iOS4 or maybe that the iPhone 4 won't be jailbroken.

6. notblackmac macrumors regular

notblackmac

I'm pretty sure iOS4 has already been jailbroken, and I'm almost positive that the developers for MyWi will port over a 4.0 compatible version, just because they have got to be making a ton of cash.

7. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

Yea im sure the mywi developers are waiting for 4.0 to be released to the public, just have to wait another week

8. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

That's kind of my concern as well, I'm sure mywi will port but when?

9. softwareguy256 thread starter macrumors regular

Correction, I'm not using any paid app. There's a little thing you can do with iphone OS 3 to get tether to work for free. I have never bought a paid iphone app in my life :D