Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
okay, so right now these are the macs that i have:

2006 Mac Pro 2.66
2006 Macbook Pro 2.16
2007 Macbook 2.16 (wife's)
2008 Macbook Air 1.6 (1st gen)

now, both the 2006 machines are starting to show age. i was having trouble with the mac pro last night - in fact, i was afraid it wasn't going to even start up, but it did.

the macbook pro's battery seems pretty bad - it seems to always say less than 2 hours left. i know i could replace the battery, but the machine does seem pretty slow.

anyways, i have started a new job, and my bday is coming up. i feel i deserve a new machine. also, with this job, i will have some traveling (up to 3 months at a time).

of course, my first thought is a new 8 core mac pro. but since i will travel some, for 3 months at a time (not from now on, just for training) i am at least thinking about a laptop. even though i already have 3 laptops

what are your thoughts?

thanks in advance

sbb155

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2005
okay, so right now these are the macs that i have:

2006 Mac Pro 2.66
2006 Macbook Pro 2.16
2007 Macbook 2.16 (wife's)
2008 Macbook Air 1.6 (1st gen)

now, both the 2006 machines are starting to show age. i was having trouble with the mac pro last night - in fact, i was afraid it wasn't going to even start up, but it did.

the macbook pro's battery seems pretty bad - it seems to always say less than 2 hours left. i know i could replace the battery, but the machine does seem pretty slow.

anyways, i have started a new job, and my bday is coming up. i feel i deserve a new machine. also, with this job, i will have some traveling (up to 3 months at a time).

of course, my first thought is a new 8 core mac pro. but since i will travel some, for 3 months at a time (not from now on, just for training) i am at least thinking about a laptop. even though i already have 3 laptops

what are your thoughts?

thanks in advance

1. Geekbench your macs and see how slow they are
2. doesnt sound like you need a new mac pro
3. sounds like you want the latest generation laptop
4. if gone alot, consider getting a 17" to play with..

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
1. Geekbench your macs and see how slow they are
2. doesnt sound like you need a new mac pro
3. sounds like you want the latest generation laptop
4. if gone alot, consider getting a 17" to play with..

1. that's a good idea. i'll try to do that when i get a chance
2. well, like i said, it gave me a huge scare last night. it is hosting several web apps, and some of those have priceless data.
3. i do want a new machine, not necessarily a laptop though
4. well, like i said, i'll travel some in the next year, but after that, i'm not sure

My first thought is a maxed out MB. I'm curious what you already have in mind. Surely your eye is already on a machine.

of course i have my eye on a new mac pro. but am also thinking a macbook pro

Mintin8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2009
United Kingdom
If you have the money for a Mac Pro and want portability. Go ahead and get a 15 or 17 inch MBP. Max it out. It could probably even replace your desktop at home aswell.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
If you have the money for a Mac Pro and want portability. Go ahead and get a 15 or 17 inch MBP. Max it out. It could probably even replace your desktop at home aswell.

well, since i have a macbook air and macbook pro already, i'm kinda leaning towards the mac pro. mainly b/c of those 8 cores !

but i really do need to run some benchmarks on my machines

Mintin8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2009
United Kingdom
well, since i have a macbook air and macbook pro already, i'm kinda leaning towards the mac pro. mainly b/c of those 8 cores !

but i really do need to run some benchmarks on my machines

If you got the Mac Pro that would do you for when working at home. You could then upgrade your previous laptops and have them for portability. Your MBA would do you good when travelling.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
If you got the Mac Pro that would do you for when working at home. You could then upgrade your previous laptops and have them for portability. Your MBA would do you good when travelling.

well i can only afford one machine. if i got the mac pro, i would run my current mac pro headless as a server (it is already a webserver).

if i get a new laptop, then i'm not sure what i'd do with my current laptop. probably continue to use it

Little HZ

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2008
New Mexico
What about selling one or two of the machines you already have, once you benchmark them all to see which ones are serving you best?

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
I would sell three of you machines (not your wife's) and than buy something new, if you want a new, shinning toy...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I would sell three of you machines (not your wife's) and than buy something new, if you want a new, shinning toy...

well, the only machines that i could possibly sell would be the macbook pro and mac pro. the macbook air was a gift, and i cannot sell it

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
come on, surely ya'll can give me more advice.

which would you rather do:

replace a 2006 macbook pro 2.16 ghz with a new macbook pro

or

replace a 2006 mac pro 2.66 quad with a new octo mac pro?

Little HZ

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2008
New Mexico
I'd prefer the MBP--I like watching TV w/ my computer in my lap ... :rolleyes:

Not sure this feature matches your particular needs ... :D

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Since you said your Mac Pro is dying, I'd upgrade that. Then get a new battery for your MacBook Pro. If you can, take some time and reinstall everything.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Since you said your Mac Pro is dying, I'd upgrade that. Then get a new battery for your MacBook Pro. If you can, take some time and reinstall everything.

if i did get a new mac pro, i'd take the current one and continue to run it, but just a headless server.

i'm just not sure how much faster a new macbook pro would be from my current one

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Run an apple hardware test or techtool on the mac pro to see if it can pick up any hardware problems. Take it to an applestore to see if the genius can pick up anything.

Consider putting 4 gigs of ram and a 7200 rpm hard drive in your existing macbook pro to extend its use. Yeah, it can only use 3 gigs and change, but getting use of all 3 gigs and dual channel mode would justify putting in the ram, especially with how cheap ddr2 is these days. You've already paid for the machine, you may as well use it as long as you can. I've also had some luck with older powerbook batteries by running them down completely and letting them sit in the freezer for at least a couple of days before charging them back up. Do this a couple of times, and let them thaw completely before charging them back up.

As for a new MP, macworld benchtested the 4 and 8 core new machines, and their conclusion was the 4 core was faster for everyday use unless you had software like FCP that could effectively utilize multiple cores.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Run an apple hardware test or techtool on the mac pro to see if it can pick up any hardware problems. Take it to an applestore to see if the genius can pick up anything.

Consider putting 4 gigs of ram and a 7200 rpm hard drive in your existing macbook pro to extend its use. Yeah, it can only use 3 gigs and change, but getting use of all 3 gigs and dual channel mode would justify putting in the ram, especially with how cheap ddr2 is these days. You've already paid for the machine, you may as well use it as long as you can. I've also had some luck with older powerbook batteries by running them down completely and letting them sit in the freezer for at least a couple of days before charging them back up. Do this a couple of times, and let them thaw completely before charging them back up.

As for a new MP, macworld benchtested the 4 and 8 core new machines, and their conclusion was the 4 core was faster for everyday use unless you had software like FCP that could effectively utilize multiple cores.

thanks for the reply.

the mac pro is not under warranty, so i'm not going to bother with the apple store. and i've got 14 GB of RAM in there, that i put in myself. and i've changed the hard drives as well.

not a bad idea about the ram for my macbook pro. i have just put a 500 GB hard drive in it last year. but i'm still at 2 GB of RAM right now.

yeah i saw the macworld benchmarks for the new Mac Pro. and it's way faster than mine

clyde2801

macrumors 601
thanks for the reply.

the mac pro is not under warranty, so i'm not going to bother with the apple store. and i've got 14 GB of RAM in there, that i put in myself. and i've changed the hard drives as well.

not a bad idea about the ram for my macbook pro. i have just put a 500 GB hard drive in it last year. but i'm still at 2 GB of RAM right now.

yeah i saw the macworld benchmarks for the new Mac Pro. and it's way faster than mine

1. You can still take it to the apple store for a free diagnostic. What if the pro has something simple wrong with it that's a $200, or free, fix?

2. Does the mbp have a 7200 drive? If not, you'll tell a difference with one. Stick the old drive in an enclosure for a backup.

3. If you get a pro, get a quad instead of an octo unless you're heavy into FCP.

welshtedz

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2009
Wales, Uk
All depends

Dude, it depends on what you need it for.
Portability i would say macbook/Macbook Pro.
Maybe even an air.
If you just want one for little things and need it to be cheap then go for Mac Mini.
Performance go for Mac Pro.
Or maybe an iMac and upgrade the RAM.

Good luck

- Ted

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.