Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacbookProSearching

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2015
Hi all

I really could use a bit of help deciding on which Macbook Pro 15 inch to buy (i'm looking at second-hand).

I've been offered a 2014 Macbook with 2.3 ghz, 512 GB and NVidia Gforce GT 750M 2BG graphics. Also have a few scratches and dents. http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=ME294

I have also been offered a newer (2015) version (without the new touchpad), 2.2 ghz and 256 GB.

I really don't need the extra GB but do occasionally do some gaming (CS and Dota). Both laptops are priced exactly the same. Which would you pick and what should I be aware of? Thanks in advance for your help! Really appreciate it.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hi all

I really could use a bit of help deciding on which Macbook Pro 15 inch to buy (i'm looking at second-hand).

I've been offered a 2014 Macbook with 2.3 ghz, 512 GB and NVidia Gforce GT 750M 2BG graphics. Also have a few scratches and dents. http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=ME294

I have also been offered a newer (2015) version (without the new touchpad), 2.2 ghz and 256 GB.

I really don't need the extra GB but do occasionally do some gaming (CS and Dota). Both laptops are priced exactly the same. Which would you pick and what should I be aware of? Thanks in advance for your help! Really appreciate it.
First, the one with the 750M is the late-2013 variant.

The 'newer' version that you have been offered is the mid-2014 variant.

The mid-2014 variant does not have a dedicated GPU, but it should handle CS and Dota just fine.

However, if you can live with the cosmetic imperfections, I'd go for the late-2013 one with GT 750M.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
What are the prices? I would suggest the first one since you mention gaming and also that you don't need the internal storage of the second option, but not if it costs more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.