need help deciding which MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by s.hasan546, Jun 6, 2011.

1. s.hasan546, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

Hey guys i have a 2011 13" mbp i5. However, i want a thinner & more portable laptop.

Now i mainly use the laptop for watching videos, while flash browsing, & a good amount of Office (excel & word) all simultaneously .

Now i can't decide if i want the MBA 11" or 13". & im tired of waiting of a mythical mba refresh.

i would prefer the larger battery of the 13" & higher res screen but its not necessary.

My main question is will the 11" air be fast enough? do i need 4 gb ram? big difference from 1.4 to 1.6 ghz cpu? Also no need to "future proof" since i upgrade every year and i have a gaming pc rig.

Im looking at the apple refurb models and im thinking if the $100 difference is worth the extra ram. Also looking at the 11" ultimate refurb for $1159 but idk if its worth the $230 price difference. And if i was going for the 11" ultimate i think the 13" mba with 4 gb ram for $1189 is a better deal.

Idk im confused :confused::confused:

2. reputationZed macrumors 65816

A couple of months is mythical, good thing you weren't hanging on for the PowerBook G5.

I'm contemplating getting rid of my 15" MBP and replacing with a MBA. I'm also torn between the 11 and the 13 and have good arguments for both. I've also heard quite a few arguments that 4GB is the most important decision you'll make. I haven't heard many arguments in favor of sticking with 2GB.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i can't really make a suggestion but you could probably get away with 2gb ram if all you're doing is browsing/watching videos and using word/excel. i'm not sure how you simultaneously watch videos and do use word/excel but more power to you if you can. you won't notice much of a difference in going from a 1.4ghz to a 1.6ghz, either.

4. Berardi3 macrumors newbie

I am I. The same dilemma I have been waiting and waiting I like them both but for the ultimate portability I like the 11 MBA I look at it this way tech changes so fast why invest so much money into it cause in a couple years you want something new anyways .

5. Cole JM macrumors regular

If you want more portable, go with the 11, I had the 13 for a while and while it was amazingly fast and portable I sometimes wished I had the 11. Also, the RAM isnt a huge deal as you still have the 13 MBP so anything ram or CPU intensive can be done on that.

6. glen e macrumors 68030

I have a 2gb unit and use it for all the MS Office apps and videos embedded into keynote presentations - it works very well, never stuttered or hung at all. It is all I need. I looked into expanding the SSD today and will probably do a 256 gb unit later this year as I fill it with more presentations....