need help deciding which mbp to get

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by madcurt, May 10, 2010.

1. madcurt macrumors newbie

Im currently in the market for a new laptop and am planning to take the leap to mac, i dont really know which one i should buy im looking at the 15" 2.53 and the 15" 2.66

ill be using it for school im a biology major and computer science/interactive media minor student and ill use it for music recording/creation and for playing games the current games i have so far are as followed: crysis, quake 4, medal of honor airborne, clive barkers jericho, far cry 2, unreal tournament 3, bioshock 1, and im looking to pick up maybe a few others pretty soon

also does anyone know how windows 7 is for gaming? i know vista can play all these games perfectly fine but would xp or 7 be able to run them better?
    given that info what would all of you recommend me to get?

also what are battery lifes anyone has experienced with i5 vs i7 to date?

2. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Windows 7 works great on a mac as well as for gaming. Love it.

I am a gamer myself, and considering the games you are wanting to play I would definitely go for the i7 as it comes with the 512mb graphics card, definitely a plus for gaming.

Also, you may want to consider getting the standard resolution scree as it will help in gaming, although it hasn't been proved yet just how much of a difference it makes in fps, but it can't hurt.

Cant speak for battery on an i5 but on my i7 I get around 5-6 hours battery with brightness at half, keyboard off, and flash disabled just browsing the web. Anything else and it drops to around 4. I don't understand how some people are actually getting 8 : o

3. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Get the 15" base model. Wait four months and get a 256 ssd replacement. You'll love it!