Need help deciding which model 15" MacBook Pro to pick up for FCP X

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DSEditorjoel, Oct 30, 2016.

1. DSEditorjoel macrumors newbie

DSEditorjoel

Let me just preface that I was affected by the dreaded AMDGate of the 2011 MBP (which went through 2 repairs, both of which were *eventually* reimbursed by Apple). I ended up selling that MBP and cutting my losses while opting for an i7 2013 MBA since then.

In my spare time I run an online publication and edit a majority of our video content. I edit (mostly 1080p) video in FCP X with integrated graphics (intel 5000) and 8gb ram. It gets the job done, just takes... some time.

In a perfect world, I'd opt for the model that's right under 2K (with intel graphics) and up the internal storage to 512. The next step up comes with discrete, but only 256 ssd. I work off external drives for editing but am already having storage anxiety.

How significant are the performance gains for a dGPU compared to the latest from intel? I currently don't use external displays but will be likely heading in that direction next year (at least 1).

Like other threads in here, I'm already anticipating a dGPU failure but I'm also unsure about the capabilities/limitations of the iGPU. Any advice?

2. DSEditorjoel thread starter macrumors newbie

DSEditorjoel

3. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

The new MBP does not have an option for iGPU only. You would have to buy the 2015 model if you want iGPU.

4. DSEditorjoel thread starter macrumors newbie

DSEditorjoel

Attached Files:

5. justinf77 macrumors 6502

6. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

As Justin pointed out, that's the 2015 model.

7. DSEditorjoel thread starter macrumors newbie

DSEditorjoel

iFail. So with the entry level 15" what should I consider upgrading: i7 or Video card?

8. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

My opinion is neither. I would go for the larger storage.

9. DSEditorjoel thread starter macrumors newbie

DSEditorjoel

So you're saying the actual gains in FCP X would be negligible?

If I can make that storage work for me, should I just buy the off the shelf model then?

10. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Going by benchmarks of previous models, I would say that it will probably be the same with the new MBPs. Not much of a benefit for the money you pay.
    Now if you made your living using FCP X, then having that little extra power would make sense.

11. techspin macrumors 6502a

Regardless of the application, I would opt to double the video memory for $100. It depends on your usage of course.