Need help deciding

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andy17, Jun 16, 2013.

1. andy17 macrumors newbie

Hey all, I'm currently a college student on a limited budget, but I could really use a Macbook pro for classes. I'm going for film, so we have a lot of classes dealing with creating videos, film editing, and photoshop. I'm also going to be getting Adobe's CC program tomorrow, if that helps. I was just wondering what size, how much RAM and memory I could get by on while it not lagging or anything like that. I also don't really care on the year, but I'd prefer it to be a 2011. 2010 if need be. Thanks for your help!

2. Dwinguel macrumors member

Dwinguel

I would recommend 8GB of RAM or more. But you can get a machine with less and upgrade to more RAM yourself, it depends on the deal you get. Are you planning to buy it on eBay?

In terms of the storage space (hard drive or SSD), if you are only going to run Mac OS X, you should be fine with 500 GB and could manage with less (but would need to be a bit disciplined and use an external storage for data you don't need to access all the time).

I would go for a 15" or 17" model, you need some desktop space for video editing. Also, I recommend a laptop with a discrete graphic card, which is the case with the 15" and 17" models.

The 17" is going to be more bulky but you will get more desktop space, this is up to you.