Need Help Deciding

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gazfocus, Jan 17, 2008.

  1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #1
    I am looking at purchasing either a Macbook Pro and an iMac or a Macbook Pro, mac pro and a 23" ACD.

    I know the MBP is rumoured to be expecting a redesign around WWDC in June (after the Montevina release), as is the ACD (and possibly the Mac Pro?)

    So what I'm wondering is, is it worth me buying a bottom end Macbook now to tide me over and wait for the redesigns/updates in June/July, or do I just buy the lot now? (I'm desperate to get out of the Windoze camp).

    I have about £2000 at the moment and I know that this lost is going to cost about £3000 with student discount (for the 8 core 2.8GHz Mac Pro and 23" ACD), so I've got a little bit of money left to get, but it won't take me more than 2 months to save this.

    As many opinions as possible would be preferred.
     
  2. Batt macrumors 65816

    Batt

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2007
    Location:
    Syracuse, NY
    #2
    3 days ago this was virtually guaranteed to happen 2 days ago, and we know what didn't happen. Buy now and be happy.
     
  3. elberggreno macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2008
    #3
    Why don't you go for a Macbook and the Mac Pro + ACD, both the Macbook and Macpro where updated quite recently and the ACD 23" is absolutely stunning (I have one and is extremely satisfied)..

    Sure there may be updates in June, bet then again there might be updates 6 months from that.. One could wait forever..
     
  4. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #4
    People are saying that the MBP didn't get updated due to the Mobile Penryn Delays which is fair enough. A redesign by the end of this year is a definite because Steve Jobs has committed to putting the LED screens into all Apple Portables
     
  5. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #5
    The macbook won't suit my needs long term. (The screen's really too small, and I'm not overkeen on the design).

    My problem is, I will be using a HE discount as I'm a university student, and I know there's something about limiting the number of each product (or product line) you can buy, and I'm not sure if that's yearly or what. Basically, I'm wondering if I buy a macbook now, I might not be able to buy a Macbook Pro later on in the year and if I buy say a Mac Mini now, I might not be able to buy an iMac or Mac Pro later in the year.
     
  6. Batt macrumors 65816

    Batt

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2007
    Location:
    Syracuse, NY
    #6
    "People" are the ones who guaranteed the MWSF update, too. And don't the MBPs already have LED backlighting (except the 17")?
     
  7. elberggreno macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2008
    #7
    Don't you think both a Mac Pro and a MBP is a bit of overkill? Do the heavy lifting on the MP and portability on the MB.. Sure it would be lovely to have both if you can afford it..

    The only real performance difference between the MB/MBP (except the screen) is really the GPU.. wich you''ll compensate by doing the heavy work on the Mac Pro..

    Sorry can't help you about the discounts, we don't have thoose here (in Sweden)..
     
  8. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #8
    As I said, it's the screen size that's the real issue. I will be using the Macbook Pro as my main computer for roughly 4.5 months of the year (bein a uni student, I'll be leaving my Macpro at uni and taking the MBP home).

    That being said, I like the smallness of the Macbook...If only it was Aluminium.

    I really couldn't imagine using a 13" screen as my main computer for 4.5 months though. That is the deciding factor.

    Also, my laptop will need to have a huge hard drive (The current MBP Max is 250GB but I'm hoping they upgrade that in the new ones).
     
  9. elberggreno macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2008
    #9
    May I ask what kind of work you'll be doing? It seems then maybe you'll do with just a MBP and an 23" ACD, just buy 3-rd party RAM and drive for the MBP, as of now you can have dual 320GB drives in the MBP (see http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/ ) and sometime in feb. Samsung will release a 500GB 2,5" drive, meaning a full TB in the MBP, not the cheapest solution, but you'll save the Mac Pro money anyway..

    Another option is a nice FW800 drive, the TB dual Maxtor drive is nice and cheap (can't remember the name)
     
  10. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #10
    I'll be using it for univeristy work (web development, etc), Graphics in Photoshop, Video editing and Music Production.

    Have just looked at your suggestion (the MCE Optibay), but as I'm from the UK, I don't see this being a viable option.

    I am currently looking at external hard drives that have FTP access so I can access them from anyway in the world (any ideas?)

    I don't want just a MBP and nothing else. I need a desktop solution too (and I don't think the MBP would be powerful enough to use as a permanent desktop solution). I am however looking at the iMac 24"
     

Share This Page