Need help deleting Dock item!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Demthios, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Demthios macrumors member

So I got a new macbook pro from my college and they have us on their "domain" or something. But down on the dock, there is suppose to be a networked folder that will log into my "homefolder" to where I can store stuff on the schools server. But I don't want the icon on my dock. Whenever I attempt to drag it off the dock it just comes right back. And if I attempt to right click on it all I get is open or show more options which is open in finder. The rest of the dock is fine I can add, remove, rearrange anything. So I know the dock isn't locked....any help would be great!

2. psxguru macrumors 6502a

Can you right click on the icon and is the remove from dock option available?

3. Demthios thread starter macrumors member

No that option isn't there when I right click on it...

4. minik macrumors 65816

Sounds like your computer is binded to the Active Directory. Check the Directory Utility and see if 'Use UNC path from Active Directory to derive network home location' enabled or not. However, if you got the computer from the school, you may need administrative password for changing any setting.

5. Demthios thread starter macrumors member

minik,

alright thanks for the heads up there, yeah it's got the 'Use UNC path from Active Directory to derive network home location' enabled. So now how can I go about removing it from the dock? if I uncheck it it doesn't seem to let me remove it...I don't know why it bugs me down there but it does lol.

6. dpr04747 macrumors newbie

Greetings Demthios,

Did anyone ever send you instructions on how to remove the network home folder icon from the dock on your computer?

I am trying to help someone who wants to do the same.

Thanks -- Denis

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

This thread is more than 3 years old, in case you didn't notice. It's great when someone responds after such a long time, but also surprising. Good luck.