Need Help Desperately - Mail.app and IMAP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iRabbit, Sep 12, 2007.

1. iRabbit macrumors 6502

I'm working on getting IMAP going on my mac pro and on my iPhone... Its really giving me a headache after too many hours of trying different things.

I can receive mail fine but I cannot send mail. I keep getting "connection failed" type messages. I'm using port 587 (its how the server is set up), and authentication (password). No SSL. I'm sure everything is entered right. I got it to work lickety split with outlook express but I just can't seem to get it to work in mail.app -- either on the iPhone or Mac pro.

I've tried deleting the account and setting them up again. I've tried deleting the outgoing server in server list (on mac pro). I've tried with SSL and without (just to be sure). HELP! LOL

Ideas? I need a true mac genius...

(and yes, i know about using my isp's outgoing server on my home pc, or at&t's on the iphone, but i have my own server and domain and really would like to sent from my own mail server)

2. FoxBJK macrumors newbie

FoxBJK

Hello iRabbit, now say hello to your Mac Genius (I do Mac, Linux and Email support for a Indiana University).

Based on what you described, I cannot tell whether it's a problem with OS X, Mail.app or your IMAP server itself (though I doubt the third). So here's what I recommend you try.

Download and set up Thunderbird (www.getthunderbird.com) and see if that program allows you to work with your mail server. If nothing else it may re-word the error message just right so we know what's going on.

Also, you shouldn't need to use your ISP's mail server, but you may want to talk to them and see if they block outgoing mail through different servers, because some of them will to "cut back on spam and improve security". I know it sounds ridiculous, but there's a few ISP's that do stuff like this.

Let me know if this gets you any closer