Need help, desperately

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robrose20, Aug 6, 2007.

1. robrose20 macrumors 6502

robrose20

I tried to install bootcamp and I ran into a little bit of a problem. I aborted the install because I thought the partition was messed up, now when I boot the computer I just get the grey screen. When I hold down the option button on startup it does not allow me to choose the operating system.

How do I get my Mac OS back? I never installed Windows XP, I never formated any partition. I have everything backed up so if I have to reinstall it is no big deal. How do I boot from my installation DVD?

Please help!!!

2. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Hold down the 'C' key after you reboot and good luck!

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Why did you think that you messed the partition up?

and to start from the installation DVD press and hold C with the disk inserted.

4. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Boot into firewire disk mode and hook it up to your G4 and repair the drive in disk utility. That should help.

5. robrose20 thread starter macrumors 6502

robrose20

I tried holding down the "C" Key and rebooting with the system disk in the DVD drive and it doesn't want to boot from the DVD. How do I boot into firewire disk mode?

I thought the partition was messed up because it showed my entire hard drive as the windows partition, while in the directions it was only the size that was specified.

Thanks!

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Firewire disk mode - hold down T. you'll need a firewire cable to connect the computers together.

7. robrose20 thread starter macrumors 6502

robrose20

nothing is happening, everytime I try to boot in firewire target mode, from the DVD, or holding down the option button it doesn't seem to work. I just get the grey screen with nothing happening. Help help help.

8. robrose20 thread starter macrumors 6502

robrose20

Ok, the only thing it seems to do is eject removable media when I reboot with the eject button held. When I hold C it will not boot from the system disk, when I hold down T it will not act as a target firewire drive. How long does it take to recognize and boot from system disk?

9. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Hmm... seems you might have fried your HD. Call Apple, maybe they'll stick another HD in there for you. You should be able to get it to boot, just give it a little bit (unless you fried your logic board or something, though I don't see how).

10. robrose20 thread starter macrumors 6502

robrose20

I don't see how I could have fried the logic board or the HDD. When I hit the power switch I get the usual tone and then the grey screen. I can use the power switch to turn it off and on, I can eject media, but I can't seem to boot from the DVD, or use it as a target drive. I am going to try one more time to boot from the system disk.

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Browsing the apple kb and the only suggestion i have come across so far is to reset you power management unit. To do so ( i have assumed that it is the MBP in your sig that has the problem.)

12. robrose20 thread starter macrumors 6502

robrose20

She's dead jim

Ok, I called applecare this am, and they couldn't solve the problem. I made an appointment with a "Mac Genius" and they couldn't solve the problem. They had to "take it in to be looked at". Its completely dead, it will be 3 to 5 days before they even look at it, then it could be up to 4 weeks before I get the system back, depending on how long it takes for parts to arrive because they have nothing in stock.

I hope its just a software issue .... I'm really pissed, the damn thing is only 2 months old.

They were really nice on the phone and in the store. That helps the sting a little.

13. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

That is a bummer, hope it gets fixed quicker than that. The longest i've had to wait for my computer to be fixed was 3 days (new logic board) and thats in the UK, would've thought that repairs in the US would be quicker.