Need help - dilema

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by willyboy104, Feb 5, 2012.

1. willyboy104 macrumors newbie

OK so I currently have the 27" iMac from January 2010 (I think) and I upgraded the ram so it now has 12gb RAM.

I really like the look of the apple cinema display, they do look amazing and I would like to swap my iMac for a cinema display, but then I have the dilema of paying £2,000+ for a mac pro or just getting a new iMac (this years top spec) and forgetting about the cinema display.

However, I also miss building my own computers...so do I:

1. Buy the brand new top spec 27" iMac with the Intel i7
    2. Buy the Apple Cinema Display and fork out £2,000+ for a low spec mac pro.
    3. Buy an Apple Cinema Display and build my own computer and some how connect the two?
    OR.
    4. Build my own computer and get a monitor as good as the cinema display - is this possible, any recommendations for as good as monitor?

Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Lastly, is the macpro as easy as a normal desktop computer to upgrade or do Apple make it extremely difficult, as they do with most other Apple products?

Thanks in advance!

2. The Tech Fish macrumors member

As far as i know to upgrade the mac pro is as easy, if not more so than a non mac alternative. (depending on what you want to upgrade.

The things that are easy to upgrade in it are:

Hard drives (litterally, just on a tray that pops out, put a different hard drive in, and away you go.

Ram - again on a special tray thing

PCI cards - just whack them in!

As for other things it's worth checking online.

Personally, out of all these options, i would go for a new 27" iMac. I really love that machine, and the actual display panel is (as far as i know) identical to the one in the thunderbolt display.

However if it really bothers you that it iMac does not look the same as the cinema display, then i guess the second best option is mac pro + display.

Anyway, if you want to donate your old iMac to a loving home, let me know ;)

Joe