Need help...Does Netgear play nice with Apple???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by The.316, Jan 2, 2011.

1. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

I have a big remodeling job to do on my room this week, and I need some quick advice please. I have a Netgear DGND3300 modem/router in the box, ready to be set up. I already have an Apple Airport Extreme set up, but it has to be set up with a modem. The Netgear doesnt need to, and the specs on it seem to be really good. Which one should I go with? I get about 15mb/s with the AE, but Im thinking that maybe with the Netgear might be a better overall option, seeing what the specs of it is. Which one should I go with, and do I lose any of the functionality that I had with the AE, if I go with the Netgear? Functionality meaning iTunes shared throughout the apartment, speaker sharing, etc. Ive asked the question before, without any response, so Im hoping someone can help me out before I get started on the room.

2. MacTribe macrumors member

MacTribe

Netgear are good. I've used several in the past with no problems. Airport products are good too, but to be honest they're much of a muchness.

From the sounds of what you need ie good, simple connectivity - Netgear will be fine! If in doubt, test it out for yourself.

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I've had 2 Netgears, the first a DG834G, the second a sky router (which is a rebranded Netgear). Both have been flawless.

Can't answer your other questions as I've never owned an AEBS.

4. The.316 thread starter macrumors 65816

The.316

I can still use over the air services (stream movies/music) between my imac/mbp/:apple: TV with the Netgear though, right?

5. MacTribe macrumors member

MacTribe

Yeah of course! Thats a basic feature that 99% of networking router / modem / switch market support. :)

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I dont know about netgear... Just don't get a belkin. For some reason, it has not been fully cooperative with the 3 macs in my house since I bought it. Every now and then one of the mac's just disconnects and it takes a min to reconnect to the network after sleep.

7. cheeseblock macrumors member

I have a 1 year old netgear router, best buy recommended it, N-range, etc. The entire time i've had it though, it's been so slow on my MBP over wifi. for everyone in my family with a windows laptop, it's fast. when i plug my ethernet cord in, it's fast. So it's definitely not just slow internet. something about my router doesn't like my mac.

to make matters worse, Netgear has terrible customer service. After i called apple to see if my MBP had a problem, which they figured out was not the case, i called netgear and after 2 hours on the phone they did nothing to help me out

but that's just my experience. next time i get a router i'm just gonna fork out the cash for an airport extreme or time capsule.