Need help downgrading from Mountain Lion to Lion...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Divursify, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Divursify macrumors newbie

So I have the MB Pro mid 2012 edition that came with OSX Lion. The problem is, when I open Internet Recovery Mode and click on reinstall OS X, it gives me the option to reinstall OSX Mountain Lion but not Lion. Everyone is saying that Internet Recovery Mode fetches the original OSX, but mine did not. How do I downgrade to Lion? I do not want to buy it off of the app store!

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I suspect your machine has had Firmware 2.9 installed as part of an update, see here for details. System requirements for that firmware are listed as:

"Mac OS X 10.7.4 or later
    OS X 10.8.2 and later"

I suspect this is why you pickup 10.8 on Internet Recovery and not the original 10.7. Sorry I can't advise whether or how you would downgrade the firmware if this is the issue.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Don't do it

Lion is a dog of an OS I far preferred mountain lion.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You should always run the latest OS for security reasons alone, even if it's at the expense of performance. If performance is slow, upgrade the hardware.

Security is paramount.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Not really

If all you do is surf the net and watch youtube videos it really doesn't matter.

6. Bomb Bloke macrumors regular

Bomb Bloke

Are you sure you're using Internet Recovery Mode (which should indeed install the original OS), as opposed to booting from the onboard recovery partition (which re-installs the current OS)?

Cmd+Opt+R on boot should force Internet Recovery, signified by a spinning globe as the system prepares to start up.

If so, then the system may've shipped with 10.8 - the very last ones sold did.

Yes, because everyone knows that everything on "the net" is perfectly safe.

:rolleyes:

Personally, I'd take Mountain Lion over Lion any day.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

but if thats all you do

then there is nothing on your computer worth stealing.....

I agree mountain lion over lion all day long.... Lion was not very nice.