Need help downgrading to Lion.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by aPple nErd, Mar 27, 2013.

1. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

Ok I need a disk image so I can downgrade my 2011 iMac back to lion. If anyone could help, be making a bootable image, or telling me where I can get one then please do. I forgot to make one when updating to mountain lion, and I don't like mountain lion. Mac came per installed with lion. Thanks.

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

ISn't this a duplicate of your other post?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1561681

If you haven't got a copy of the installer app; or a bootable disk image; or a Time Machine backup; and it doesn't appear in the Mac App Store under Purchases, then you're out of luck, unless you can find someone else who has a copy.

As I also said in the other thread: what is it particularly that you don't like about ML? Perhaps there is an alternative way to bring about the same functionality without having to downgrade.

3. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

i dont like the dock, or the iOS like features. i would actually love if i could downgrade to sl to use rosette apps.

----------

and will a retail copy of osx lion like the thumb drive update disk work to install it?

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

As far as I can tell, the Dock in Lion and Mountain Lion are the same. The "iOS features" -- LaunchPad? Resume? Scroll bars? -- were also introduced in Lion, and so should be the same.

There are ways to configure and adjust some of these, depending on exactly what it is you find objectionable. Can you be more specific? It may simply be that your installation of ML doesn't have the same settings that you were using in Lion.

Otherwise, I suspect you might install Lion and then find out that things are no better. Also, you may run into trouble transferring things like email downwards, as the data storage format may have changed.

You can only buy Lion "retail" from the App Store. If you can download a copy of the install app, there are many websites that explain how to restore the disk image that it is inside the app onto a thumb drive. (8Gb needed, IIRC.)
    Yes, you can then use that drive to install Lion. The problem is that Lion is no longer available on the MAS, unless you previously purchased it.

Rosetta is a seven-year-old fix to tide you over for the short term. You won't be able to use PPC apps indefinitely, anymore than you can run Classic Mac apps from OS 9 or earlier. You need to update the app or find an alternative application for your data.

5. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

i dont like notification center, or messages, i prefer ichat, and the dock is different. different divider, which is what i most want back, and ale different lights, and a different actual dock.

6. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Notification Center can be turned off and removed from the menu bar.
    Dock lights can be configured to display as before.
    You're stuck with Messages, though it's probably easier to find a third-party app that your prefer, rather than throw the baby out with the bath water.

I really can't see either any difference or what might be so egregious about the divider line in the Dock. It's a line. It's always been a line, hasn't it?

If it's not, then there may well be a way of configuring it, probably with "default write" commands in the Terminal. There are many websites that list these commands and their values, so that you can configure things.