Need help downloading rar files

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheChelicopter, Oct 1, 2012.

1. TheChelicopter macrumors newbie

Hi, I am kinda new to owning a Mac but have used them before. Anyway, every time I try to download a .rar file it downloads as just a document and not something that can be decompressed. I have no trouble with .zip files, just .rar. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

-TheChelicopter

2. testerdennis macrumors member

I think you need to download UnRarX then drag the file into unrarx.

3. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Use Unarchiver. Does it all. Lovely app. You will need nothing else.

4. TheChelicopter thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded unarchiver but still every time I try to download a rar file it shows up as a document in my downloads. Is there a certain way to download the files and i am just doing it wrong? Thanks.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Download and install unarchiver (which it sounds like you've done)
    select the RAR file you want to expand, right click and open with--->unarchiver, check the box that says "always open files of this kind with.." (or something to that effect)

6. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

A little trick if you didn't know: when you know you want a file to open with a specific program, drag the file onto the program icon on the dock, if the app isn't on the dock open the app first so that it is.

If you are still having issues rename the file to add .rar at the end if it isn't already there.

7. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

See Interstella's post. Most likely a file association issue. You may have to add a .rar extension as well if it is not listed. Could also be a segmented file ala' r01-r25 or something like that. Those would have to be named as well if not listed.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Oh god I had forgotten all about segmented RAR files...(shudders)

9. TheChelicopter thread starter macrumors newbie

It isn't an expanding issue and I have all the different rar files selected in unarchiver. The problem is when I click on the file to download it, it downloads as a document and not as a expandable rar file. I have tried on chrome, firefox, and safari they all just produced un-expandable documents. Zip files are fine they download as compressed files, rar files do not. Could it be something in my system preferences? Thanks for all the help guys, I feel like an idiot that I can't figure this out. Just not a overly computer literate person.

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It's cool, we were all new at this once. Can you take a screenshot or describe the "document" a little bit more? It sounds like (and I could be wrong here) that since you don't have an application associated with the RAR it's giving you a generic icon for it because it doesn't know how to handle it. What does it say when you try and open it? Something like "blah blah blah...no know application can open the file would you like to select a program or search online?" If that's the case, simply right click and you should have the "open with" option I mentioned earlier.

11. TheChelicopter thread starter macrumors newbie

I just restarted my computer for the first time since downloading unarchiver, and all seems to be working now. Thanks so much for all your help.