Need Help: Downloads

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JebusMPS, Dec 5, 2011.

1. JebusMPS macrumors newbie

Hey guys im new to the forum I currently have a MacBook Pro with 10.6.8 im just wanting to ask a question about the downloads folder.

I know its something that has been probably brought up before but was going to recheck.

My question is in the "Downloads" folder it obviously shows a copy of what has been downloaded what i trying to work out is if i delete something from the download folder will it delete the file from the computer completely and not allow it to be accessed?

Any help would be awesome!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, if you empty the Trash after deleting the file.

3. samh macrumors 6502

The Downloads folder you see in the Dock shows the contents of the ~/Downloads folder. So it's not showing a copy of what has been downloaded. It's showing you everything that is in the User's Downloads folder. Meaning, if you copy a file from your Documents folder to the Downloads folder, it will show up in Finder in ~/Downloads and in the Downloads folder on the Dock -- even though you didn't "download" it.

If you're going to keep a file around, it's best to move it out of the Downloads folder to a more permanent location.