Need help dual booting OSX versions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dirtyleft, Jun 12, 2017.

1. dirtyleft macrumors newbie

dirtyleft

I need some help. I have a mid 2010 macbook pro i got off ebay. This is my first macbook by the way. Anyway, it has 10.12.4 running on it. I have a copy of pro tool 8.3 that I want to run on it but it is not supported on Sierra. I would like to dual boot my macbook with 10.6 and 10.12.4. I partitioned 100 gb of the hard drive to run 10.6 and ordered a retail copy of 10.6 off ebay. I got it and held down C to boot from the DVD drive. It runs a while and them give me a small screen telling me that the computer needs to reboot. When I reboot it, it just boots 10.12 back up. What am i doing wrong. Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Sure you actually got a retail copy of 10.6? Can you post an image of the reboot message?
    Have you tried setting the disc as the default boot up media?

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The mid 2010 was released after retail Snow Leopard (10.6 or 10.6.3) and that version won't boot on it. This means you either need the special version included on the original restore disk, or to boot, install and update using another older Mac.

4. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Could this not be done within a virtual machine? Instead of getting an even older Mac, the OP could just use VirtualBox
    I've has Snow Leopard running in it before, and it doesn't run amazingly, but to get the patching job done it should do the trick

5. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Not sure if it's possible to image a VirtualBox virtual machine OS to an actual partition and have it be bootable natively on a Mac. Would have to try that sometime.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

redheeler has it right.
    The "commercial copy" boot DVD for 10.6 can't boot the 2010 MacBook Pro.

The way I see it, you have these options:
    - Get a later version of 10.6 (you'll probably have to go to the torrents to find one)
    - Get 10.7 or later. I'd recommend 10.8.5 (if ProTools can handle that)
    - Get a newer version of ProTools that will work with a later version of the OS
    - Switch to something other than ProTools.

Final thought:
    You might do better to have your Pro Tools boot OS on a separate drive.
    Fewer conflicts that way (even though boots will be slower via USB2).

7. dirtyleft thread starter macrumors newbie

dirtyleft

--- Post Merged, Jun 13, 2017 ---
    What would I search for to get a later version of 10.6? I mean if 10.6 is what I have, what would the later 10.6 be called. Thanks for your response.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G4

You would probably want to look for "10.6.8". That was the final update to OS 10.6.

9. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

I have a 2010 MBP which originally came with 10.6 installed. (I can install via gray discs).
    Depending on what "vintage" 2010 MBP you have you may be able to reinstall using the original discs - what I mean by that is if Your computer came equipped with 10.6.8 you would be able to reinstall using the original discs.
    It depends on what firmware version your computer has - what it came out of at the factory.

10. dirtyleft thread starter macrumors newbie

dirtyleft

the laptop is a MC374LL/A. I see retail versions of 10.6.3 on eBay. could you guys tell me if this version would work on the map?

11. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP wrote:
    " I see retail versions of 10.6.3 on eBay. could you guys tell me if this version would work on the map?"

Once more, see redheeler's reply to you in post 3 above.
    That's the answer.

And because of that, the commercial DVD you mention above probably won't boot the 2010 MBPro.
    If you want to run Snow Leopard, you need to "source" the copy you use from somewhere else. And you probably won't find it unless you go to the (cough) "non-recommended sources".

Again, some questions:
    What is the most recent version of the Mac OS that the version of Pro Tools you have can use?
    Is there any way you can scrounge up a later version (even if it isn't "the current" version)?
    If not ProTools, have you considered "porting the project" to another DAW?

Have you tried the version of ProTools you have under Mountain Lion (10.8.5)?
    Have you tried visiting Gearslutz.com to see what folks there have to say?

12. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

And lastly, I can also recommend installing your retail copy in a VM, updating it from within the VM, flashing it onto an external disk, and then flashing it back onto your MBP's hard disk