Need Help - External HDD, PS3, and HDTV

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nope7308, Jan 23, 2011.

1. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Briefly, I would like to use my PS3 to watch movies from my external HDD on my new HDTV. Problem is, the PS3 isn't reading the external HDD. I have the HDD formatted according to the Mac standard (HFS+?), but I just read that the PS3 only reads HDDs formatted as FAT32.

Does this mean that I have to reformat my external HDD to FAT32 before I can watch movies on my TV? Is there some workaround? At present, my external HDD is much larger than the HDD on my computer, so I don't know how I could reformat the drive without losing many of the files. Any ideas?

P.S. I'm assuming that the PS3 will read .avi files. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

2. RonnieTheBear macrumors newbie

If you have wifi, this will work for you.

Download PS3 Media Server from this site: http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

Create a shared folder on you MacBook and put the movies you want to watch in it.

Set PS3 Media Server to use the folder you created and run the program, when you turn of the PS3 it should detect a new Media Server and your folder should show up under the Video option.

Hope this helps.

3. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

That most certainly helps - thank you!

I haven't poked around that site yet, but I have a few quick questions:
    - Do I install it on the Mac or PS3?
    - If I stream HD movies from the Mac, will I get full HD resolution on the TV? The PS3 is connected via ethernet and I use an HDMI cable.

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I just bought the PS3 and barely know how to use it.

Thanks again!

4. RonnieTheBear macrumors newbie

You install the software on your Mac, and your PS3 will detect the "media server" that the program creates. You should get full HD quality with that setup, I think. I do it through wireless connection, so I am not sure.

5. SB123 macrumors member

I'm rather new at this, but think I have my setup similiar to what you are trying to do.

I have all my movies/pics etc on my iMac and downloaded a program call MediaLink.

The PS3 can access all the files on my iMac wirelessly through MediaLink.

Hope this help.

6. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

Thanks for the response, guys.

I downloaded/installed the PS3 Media Server thing last night. There were a few hiccups as certain files were listed as 'corrupted', yet they play perfectly fine on my MB. Moreover, they were the same file format (.avi) as other files that played perfectly fine. What gives?

Also, can someone please confirm that I can stream full 1080p through the PS3? I do not presently have HD videos on the computer so I can't try. I think I once heard someone say that the resolution is limited to 720p when streaming from your computer... is this true?

Finally, I have no idea if it's even possible to hookup my two channel stereo system to this TV. I have an integrated amp with an old school RCA A/V input. Would I send the audio to the integrated amp from the PS3 or the TV? The TV in question is a Samsung 40" LED (UN40C5000). I don't even know what cable I need.

This crap is way over my head. I'd appreciate any help - especially on that last question which has nothing to do with Apple :eek:)

7. RonnieTheBear macrumors newbie

To use your stereo for auido, you would want to use a component cable like this: http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-Component-AV-Cable/dp/B000MIXFWA

The video portion of the cable (Y,Pb,Pr) would run from your PS3 to your HDTV and the audio portion (standard red/white RCA) would run to the auido inputs on your receiver (probably to an AUX channel)

I think this setup would work, but cannot say for certain without seeing your setup. You should be able to tell though.

8. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

If you are having problems with PS3 Media Server, I suggest you try a different streaming app. Majestic is a free app that streams to PS3, 360, and any other UPnP device. Its a native Cocoa app, so it runs far better then the Java based PS3 Media Server. I've also run into less problems streaming files with it.

9. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

Hmm, thanks for the suggestions.

I just tried playing an MKV file via PS3 Media Server and it said the file was corrupt (like some other AVI files). However, these files play perfectly fine on my computer. Would I experience similar issues with Majestic? I'm really not familiar with these media server programs at all.

Thanks again for the helpful reply.

10. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

MKV files do not work on the PS3. PS3 has no support for them. You have to change the file type for it to work. You can get a program called "MKV2VOB" which will allow you to change the MKV files to VOB or M2TS or MPG files which the PS3 will be able to play. I use MKV2VOB on a PC, so i'm not sure if they have a MAC version available or not. You could also use handbrake but handbrake usually encodes the full file to m4v and in my experience takes A VERY long time to do it.

I've noticed a lot of people suggested different programs you can use to setup a Media Server. The program i use is TVersity and I CAN play 1080p content on my TV via the PS3. I will have to give some of the other suggested programs a try and see if some of them operate a bit better.

Good luck.

11. gumbyx84, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011

gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

PS3 Media Center should transcode MKVs on the fly if properly set up. No need to convert. Make sure you have the options set to do so. YMWV on quality and stability though.

Sadly Majestic doesn't seem to support MKV right now. If you want a free server that can handle MKV, you might want to look into TVMOBiLi. I actually stumbled upon it checking if Majestic supported MKV (haven't used it in awhile). Looks a lot more user-friendly then PS3 Media Server and is a Cocoa app. Anyone here have any experience using it?

Edit: The team behind Majestic seems to be planning to re-introduce transcoding. I sent them an email about it and am waiting to hear back.