Need help extracting archives in many folders at once

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lip5016, Nov 23, 2014.

1. lip5016 macrumors regular

I need help extracting archives in many folders at once.. So far I've tried out pretty much every app with no or little success..

Example:
    -I have many folders inside one main/parent folder
    -Each folder contains .zip, .rar, .iso, etc..
    -Each folder is unrelated

so far, here's what I've found..

The Unarchiver doesn't allow me to drag-and-drop folders (either the parent directory or subdirectory)

StuffIt Expander .. same

Keka.. same

UnRarX.. does not allow me to drag-and-drop parent directory, but does allow me to drop each subdirectory which specifically contains archived items.. only problem is that if I highlight every archive-containing subdirectory and drag-and-drop that to UnRarX, it will only process the very first folder, and none of the rest

"OSX Terminal".. too much of a headache.. DO NOT want to be sitting here typing a bunch of command-lines

All I'm looking for is something that I can drag-and-drop my parent directory (which contains all individual subdirectories with all their individual archives).. and have it sweep through the parent directory, and extract the contents of all the subdirectories at once to all of their own folders..

Is this possible? I'm going crazy trying to get this to work!!

2. chown33 macrumors 604

You could probably make an Automator workflow to do this.

The workflow itself should be from the Application template. This will allow you to drop folders onto it.

The inputs should be limited to folders dropped on it.

The first action should be "Get Folder Contents". This will expand each input folder to its contents. Enable "Repeat for each subfolder found" if you want the expansion to be recursive.

The second action should be "Filter Finder Items". Choose filter criteria so only the correct archive types are passed along in the workflow.

The last action should pass the archives (i.e. zip, rar, etc. files) to whatever program you want to use to extract them. The app used should be smart enough to unarchive each item in its original folder.

If you know nothing about Automator, see here:
    http://www.macosxautomation.com/automator/

It's also possible to write a shell script for Terminal that does the same thing. Try the Automator workflow first and report back with the results.

3. lip5016 thread starter macrumors regular

just tried this out.. got the same error message as reported in OP.. so frustrating that The Unarchiver can't just take a folder and be smart enough to realize there's an archiver right inside of it lol any suggestions?