Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
My PowerBook is refusing to launch an app, the app works fine on all my other computers. In the app's crash log I get this:

http://pastebin.com/664099

This computer used to run the app fine until earlier today when a folder named 501.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (the x represents numbers that I can't remember). I am loosing my patients with this damn computer and am about to smash it with a hammer if I don't get this fixed FAST.

--Thank you for your help

The Void

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2003
So, Adium then? Might have helped if you'd mentioned that to start with.

OK, have you tried repairing disk permissions?
Trashing the Adium preferences?

Those are my immediate thoughts.

If neither of those work, you could always resort to Fire instead, assuming you're desperate to IM someone.

The Void
It's not for you to know, it's just for you to weep and wonder, when the death of your civilisation precedes you.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
The Void said:
So, Adium then? Might have helped if you'd mentioned that to start with.

OK, have you tried repairing disk permissions?
Trashing the Adium preferences?

Those are my immediate thoughts.

If neither of those work, you could always resort to Fire instead, assuming you're desperate to IM someone.

The Void
It's not for you to know, it's just for you to weep and wonder, when the death of your civilisation precedes you.
Yes, I have tried all that. I didn't mention that it was Adium because I didn't really think it was relevant because it runs fine on the G5 meaning it's a problem with my laptop

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
It is not particularly helpful to know it works on the G5... because the circumstances are guaranteed to be different.

How did you install it on your laptop?
What other things are on the laptop that are not on the G5?
What are the respective version numbers of OSX?
Have you completely removed and then reinstalled the application from its original installer?

There are a wealth of relevant details we don't know and without which we're just shooting in the dark.

The Void

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2003
OK, how about logging in as another user, and launching it from there? It'll tell you if it's a user problem or an app/system problem.

Also, in your first post, the sentence starting "This computer..." isn't complete. What about the folder, exactly?

The Void
Neko just fell on me as I was quoting her!

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
CanadaRAM said:
How did you install it on your laptop?
The app was built from source code on the G5 then dragged over to the PowerBook (I have always done it that way and it has always worked before until that folder trashed its self)
What other things are on the laptop that are not on the G5?
None, in fact the laptop has less
What are the respective version numbers of OSX?
Both running 10.4.6
Have you completely removed and then reinstalled the application from its original installer?
Yes, explained above

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
What have you tried? We don't have much information to go on here. I agree with what's been posted, try all the usual suspects (repair permissions, get rid of preferences, switch accounts, etc.) and then trash it and reinstall it.

Can't you at least use iChat or something in the interim? What exactly do you need fast?

EDIT: Just saw your post, I would still trash the whole thing and install it from here.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
The Void said:
OK, how about logging in as another user, and launching it from there? It'll tell you if it's a user problem or an app/system problem.

Also, in your first post, the sentence starting "This computer..." isn't complete. What about the folder, exactly?

The Void
Neko just fell on me as I was quoting her!
I'll try the running in a new user and get back to you shortly. The folder had obvious system files in it Annex_Aux, annex.db, fonts.db, User.fcache, System.fcache.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
Jay42 said:
What have you tried? We don't have much information to go on here. I agree with what's been posted, try all the usual suspects (repair permissions, get rid of preferences, switch accounts, etc.) and then trash it and reinstall it.

Can't you at least use iChat or something in the interim? What exactly do you need fast?
I have repaired permissions, trashed Adium's pref files, trashed its Application Support folder, trashed it and rebuilt the app, archive install (the app worked after that until I deleted the Pervious Systems folder :\

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Why is it that you don't just download the regular, pre-compiled version of Adium? If you really need to build it from source, how about compiling it on the laptop instead of on the G5, then transferring it.

I've had some trouble running apps compiled on my G5 on other computers. I'm no programming expert, but I believe the problem has to do with the compiler linking to libraries that may or may not be present on other machines. There are ways to force the compiler to avoid linking to anything that will cause trouble, but I can't remember what they are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.