need help fast!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Pau.c, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Pau.c macrumors regular

ok a buddy has given me his netbook to do a complete restore on the netbook, he went away the other week and now i get chance to do it! i need to get onto his login to open the file to restore the pc!

the idiot has not given me his password!! i have tried calling him but there is no answer, his netbook is on vista and does not have a disk drive to put any password resetting software i have.

heeeelp! i have tried everything

2. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

What kind of netbook is it? Toshiba, Acer dell? Are you wanting to erase the machine or do a system restore? Two different things. You can remove a password if you have a copy of ERD commander.

3. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

Do you need to save any of his information or are you OK to just do a wipe and fresh install? If so you should be fine if you can start from the Windows disk image on a usb stick - see here:
    http://www.ngine.de/article/id/8

(or of course you could install ubuntu for him just to throw him off as that would be more likely to work ;)

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So you're looking for help to "break in" to his PC? No offense but I'm not sure if that should be given out on the net so freely.

If he has not provided you with all of the tools needed to do the request, i.e., password, disks, etc put the netbook aside and wait till he calls you back.

5. Pau.c thread starter macrumors regular

he written down his password, i typed it in as he gave it me and it dont work.

and yes i need to save a couple of files before the reboot!

6. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I agree with maflynn. Wait until your friend comes back. Many of us do not feel comfortable helping someone bypass security features, because they are meant for just that; security.

If you made a blunder, and wrote the wrong PW down, im sure he'll understand and will be happy that at least the PW he put in place is in fact working. You've done all you can, and youre a good friend for wanting to get this done.

7. Pau.c thread starter macrumors regular

thats what ill do ill wait for him to come back thats all i can do really! unless i completely wipe the system which i do not want to do!

8. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Yeah, I think he'd be pretty darn mad if he came back and you wiped the system.

"WHAT THE HELL MAN?!" :mad:
    I WAS TRYING TO HELP! :(

Dont worry, you're doing the right thing. Maybe he'll call back, then you can get it all squared away. Best of luck, and welcome to the forums.

9. egraphixstudios macrumors 6502

egraphixstudios

download hirens boot cd 9.6 and use the password remover to do your thing.. then just tell him u had to disbale his password to ge the work done...

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) He asked for your help
    2) He supplied the wrong password

It's his fault and you should wait until he comes back. However, my cynicism wonders whether he is trying to get you to hack a computer he shouldn't have access to, or you are. Either way, won't help you.

11. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

Install a barebone Linux system without XServer on the netbook, set the keyboard layout to Russian and tell your friend that he can edit all his Word documents with vi.

Problem solved!

:D