Need help! Faulty LCD-panel or bad LVDS cable?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Paulus84, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Paulus84 macrumors newbie

Hello! yesterday I changed to an ssd disk on my Imac 27" A1419 late 2012. I was extremely careful through the whole process. Anyhow after putting everything together i now have a 2inch wide black vertical line on the Lcd. Initially the dead bar was gray an after a while it became black an has been so ever since. The black bar come up immediately when booting. Anyhow the picture is good when connecting to an external monitor. I guess that excludes a GPU problem.

Judging from the attached picture what do you think? is it the LCD or the LVDS Cable?

[​IMG]

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm wanting to say bad LCD. Typically the the LVDS cable goes, the whole screen goes, not just one section of it.

3. Paulus84 thread starter macrumors newbie

If its a faulty LCD, can it be fixed or is the only solution to buy a new one?

4. fa8362 macrumors 65816

Since the LCD was fine until you opened the iMac, obviously something happened when you replaced the hard drive.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Faulty LCDs are rarely able to be repaired and generally have to be replaced. That is if the LCD is faulty. You may want to replace the cheapest part first.

6. Paulus84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, something happened, but damn i didn't expect the LCD to be that sensitive. As i said we were extremely careful!

----------

Ill try replacing Lvds cable first, its worth a try!

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

First off, try reseating the LVDS cable, and check the connector on the MLB for damage.

Where did you put the LCD whilst you were repairing the Mac?

8. Paulus84 thread starter macrumors newbie

I already tried to re-seat the cable twice, no success. I also inspected the connector and everything looks ok.

While changing to SSD we carefully put the LCD on the couch. (Two persons lifting)

9. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I'm guessing the motherboard LCD connector has a pin that lifted off the board from stress.

10. Paulus84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ill take a closer look at the pins..

11. Olietyven macrumors newbie

Did you find a solution to this, or did you end up bying a new LCD ?

12. Paulus84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope not yet checked the connectors and replaced the LVDS cable without any success.

New LCD is on its way, I should receive it within 2weeks and I really hope it solves my problem.

13. Olietyven macrumors newbie

****, just ran into the same problem, though the vertical line is only about 1,5 mm. Sucks anyway. How much did you have to pay for a new screen ?

Thanks

14. srudden macrumors newbie

Did the new LCD solve the problem...?

Did the new LCD solve the problem...?