Need help faxing with ext modem on leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Chryssa, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Chryssa macrumors newbie

I am trying to send a fax from my iMac (X 10.5.4 Leopard)

Bought an external USB modem from apple and have a printer and scanner connected but when I dial up, I get the following:
    Dialling…Connecting…Hanging up.
    Have tried 2 different fax machines on this side.

(Not an option to use free fax sites from internet)

Thank you, any help would be great as this is so frustrating and I need to fax urgently.

2. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

You didn't need to buy a modem, Just hook your cell phone up to your Mac. All cell phones have built-in Modems

You made need to adjust your properties for handshakes when faxing. What kind of modem is it?

3. Chryssa thread starter macrumors newbie

Can't use cell phone either as i can't make international calls from my contract . Also would really like to use this device after spending $85! it is a External USB apple modem.

4. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

Here is what I found Read Below

This product has nearly driven me insane. It was consistently disconnecting after a couple of minutes, and although I could recei…Read moreve emails, I could not send any. I received various error messages which were apparently incorrect. After countless hours on the phone with my internet support and Apple support, I was ready to give up on dial-up and maybe even my new Mac. I planned to call in a telelphone repairman to check my phone lines. No one could figure out what was wrong.

Then I read other customer reviews for this product. I followed the advice of other users and moved my modem to the second plug-in, the one farthest away from the electrical cord, and I'm keeping the modem as far as possible from the magnet which holds the electrical cord in place. It works perfectly now!!!

I don't understand why Apple Support is apparently unaware of this solution. They could have prevented me from wasting hours on this. I certainly never new how valuable customer reviews could be. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to share their experiences