Need Help Figuring Out Which MBP To Get

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dailydoseofk, Feb 28, 2008.

1. dailydoseofk macrumors newbie

Hey guys what's going on? I'm buying a MBP this week and need to know what you guys think is the best deal for me. I'm going to be a freshmen in college and use my computer for papers, AIM, internet, and now im doing i started doing a little video editing. Here's the thing! My friend works at an apple store and is getting me 15% off a laptop...=]. I was thinking of gettin the 2.4 ghz with 2 gb of ram and 200gb hard drive at 7200 rpm. From there i was going to upgrade the ram my self to 4gb and save money. Do you guys really think i need a 512mb video card? and does 2.4 vs 2.5 ghz make a real different?? HELP ME! AHHH!

Keep this in mind...i never really video edited in my life. I'm just going to be makin some movies in college with my friends and put it up on youtube. nothing major.

2. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

2.4 to 2.5 = prob a good amount of difference (larger cache on the 2.5 and up)
    2.5 to 2.6 = not so much

If you are going to be doing just a "little" video editing you should probably get the larger HD. You won't notice a significant difference with regards to encoding, etc and video footage takes up a LOT of space.

I say get the 2.5 with the 250GB drive and do the upgrade to 4GB RAM :)

3. dailydoseofk thread starter macrumors newbie

oh man thats going to cost a lot. i was thinking of getting an external hard drive later on right before school starts. and i should upgrade to 4gb ram myself or get it directly from apple??

4. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

NEVER BUY RAM FROM APPLE!!! Sorry for the all caps, but this is important because apple completely rips people off on Ram. For 4GB ram from apple they charge $400. You can get 4GB of ram for about $110 from someplace like crucial.com.

5. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

I second this motion...and Crucial is probably the best RAM manufacturer there is. $109.99 for a 4GB kit, and then you can turn around and sell the two 1GB sticks that come with the computer.

That right there should pay for the upgrade to the 2.5GHz model.