Need help finding a car charger....

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by davidg4781, Nov 26, 2011.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

Oct 28, 2006
    Alice, TX
    Ok, I may be on my way to get an iPhone 4S in a couple of hours, but I need a car charger, and I can't seem to find one that fits the bill.

Here are my requirements:
    *I guess 2.1 amps outputs (just from searching found out I want/need that)
    *Coiled cable
    *Has a Line Out so the audio goes from the dock connector to my car stereo
    *I would prefer it to have a female plug for the Line Out as I use a cassette adaptor

That's about it. Most I see have the straight USB cable. I like the coiled one so it's out of the way.

Also, let's say I get a call with someone like this. Will the calls be routed through the car stereo or can I pick it up to use it? I prefer the latter as I wouldn't have a microphone anywhere.
  2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Jul 24, 2009
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Belkin used to do what your after with exception to the coiled cable. Not sure if u can find them as most are dual socket USB now
  3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

Oct 28, 2006
    Alice, TX
    Thanks. I also heard car chargers weren't good for your cell phone battery.

Any insight on this??
  4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Jun 14, 2010
    Horsehooey. A 5 volt source is a 5 volt source. A poorly built car charger that doesn't regulate voltage well might create an issue, but that would be due to buying a cr@ppy accessory not due to it being a car charger.
  5. pbkiller macrumors regular

Aug 16, 2007
    Puerto Rico
    Yup... everything except the coiled cable:

The story about crappy car chargers is true. I bought a charger/audio cable (the one that uses the 30 pin dock connector to charge and pass thru audio at the same time) and my car battery went dead in like 3 weeks of use. A friend of mine bought the same charger a week after and the same thing happened to him, dead car battery. Try to avoid those...
  6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Feb 9, 2011
    Consider the source, as always. Without even knowing your source I can say it's dubious.