Need help finding a car charger....

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by davidg4781, Nov 26, 2011.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Ok, I may be on my way to get an iPhone 4S in a couple of hours, but I need a car charger, and I can't seem to find one that fits the bill.

Here are my requirements:
    *I guess 2.1 amps outputs (just from searching found out I want/need that)
    *Coiled cable
    *Has a Line Out so the audio goes from the dock connector to my car stereo
    *I would prefer it to have a female plug for the Line Out as I use a cassette adaptor

That's about it. Most I see have the straight USB cable. I like the coiled one so it's out of the way.

Also, let's say I get a call with someone like this. Will the calls be routed through the car stereo or can I pick it up to use it? I prefer the latter as I wouldn't have a microphone anywhere.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Belkin used to do what your after with exception to the coiled cable. Not sure if u can find them as most are dual socket USB now

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks. I also heard car chargers weren't good for your cell phone battery.

Any insight on this??

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Horsehooey. A 5 volt source is a 5 volt source. A poorly built car charger that doesn't regulate voltage well might create an issue, but that would be due to buying a cr@ppy accessory not due to it being a car charger.

5. pbkiller macrumors regular

Yup... everything except the coiled cable:

http://store.griffintechnology.com/iphone/iphone-4/autopilot

The story about crappy car chargers is true. I bought a charger/audio cable (the one that uses the 30 pin dock connector to charge and pass thru audio at the same time) and my car battery went dead in like 3 weeks of use. A friend of mine bought the same charger a week after and the same thing happened to him, dead car battery. Try to avoid those...

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Consider the source, as always. Without even knowing your source I can say it's dubious.