Need help finding a decent firewire External HDD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ri0ku, Oct 10, 2010.

1. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Ok guys so I have only ever used USB 2.0 External HDD's before.... and I normally just buy an enclosure and then the hdd to save on money (Im a student so im a cheapskate..)

I'm after an external (2.5 if possible) firewire + USB hdd and probably will not pay more than £60 for one.

Anyone know any good deals on at the minute? or even recommend a decent one if its a little more over £60

(I'm guessing £60 probably wont get me a firewire one...)

Thanks for your time!

2. jbrettz macrumors member

OWC aka Macsales.com. Big selection of external drives with firewire, plus superb customer service.

3. abriwin macrumors member

Guess the person recomending OWC didn't notice the sterling sign.
    I too was looking for a firewire drive but to store my Aperture libraries as FW was recomended. Seems FW drives are generally more expensive because of the interface. In the end I bought a 1Tb LaCie Quad which has two 800 FW ports, a usb 2 and an eSata port the latter of which can handle 3 Gb / sec Not cheap as I ended up getting one from the Apple store locally but they dont charge P&P at least I ended up getting it quick as I'd have had to pay £15 P&P from the UK anyway. Looks like something from Starwars and it does respond quickly..