Need help finding a new battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Squirrelflight, May 7, 2014.

1. Squirrelflight macrumors member

No apple stores near me - one two hours away but can't drive there.

Can't seem to find it on the apple store either.

I have a 2010 Macbook Pro 13 inch.
    A1278.

Can anyone help me find the right one to buy on apple.com?

2. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Maybe you can call the store and they can email you the link. Fortunately, I have a store near me and they changed it for me.

3. Richyrich1975 macrumors member

Apple wont send you a battery, you will have to take it to an Apple store for them to change it. It's not cheap either. You can get a battery from other places on the net but they may not be Apple OEM.

4. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

5. Richyrich1975 macrumors member

But they wont send it.

Taken from the link:
    The battery in your Mac notebook is a consumable item, which means it will require replacement at the end of its useful life. A replacement battery can be purchased directly from Apple. The price of the replacement battery includes installation of your new battery and environmentally responsible disposal of your depleted battery.

6. Squirrelflight thread starter macrumors member

I actually called Apple and they told me that they could have me buy it on the phone and have the battery shipped out to me?

I literally can't go to an Apple store because my city doesn't have one. The nearest Apple is over 2 hours away from me.

You can change the battery yourself. I just need to buy a new one.

I feel like this shouldn't be so hard. Why do they sell some batteries online but not the one I need? >.>

7. Richyrich1975 macrumors member

Buy it on the phone and have them send it you then? Think that'll be a first though.

8. Squirrelflight thread starter macrumors member

Maybe they didn't know what I was asking.

I don't think I can get this battery for my 2010 macbook. It doesn't seem possible. And I realized the store actually linked me to the wrong battery.

They said it was 149 dollars, the except same as the battery I was told will not work.
    http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MB771LL/A/rechargeable-battery-13-inch-macbook-aluminum

For some reason this is sold 15in Mac Book pro but only Macbook for 13 inch.

I don't understand why that is?

9. Richyrich1975 macrumors member

Apple hasn't used a battery like that since 2008 I think.

It is "under the hood" now and Apple don't want customers "under the hood".

You will have to get it from somewhere else if you want to do it yourself. Try Amazon or ebay for a start.

10. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

11. Squirrelflight thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the link! I will consider that soon. I don't need a battery just yet, I should really wait until my computer tells me to 'replace now' over 'replace soon'. But that's frustrating to hear. As far as I'm concerned apple should be selling at their batteries, especially considering lots of people still have their older macbooks.

I'm a bit hesitant to buy from a company that's not Apple directly BUT they have a lot of good reviews, and it's only 60 dollars. It's not a knock off right, it's legit an apple product just not sold by apple?

12. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

No prob.

I personally would just buy it now just in case your current battery craps out on you... then you wouldn't have to wait for it to come in the mail. This site has a 90 day replacement warranty. How high is your battery cycle count right now?

13. Squirrelflight, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014

Squirrelflight thread starter macrumors member

14. Squirrelflight thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the like! The back of my macbook says A1278. Does this matter if it doesn't match?

15. chabig macrumors 68040

No. See the compatibility list on that page.

16. Squirrelflight thread starter macrumors member

I just checked! Thank you so much for the help really appreciate it! :)