Need Help Finding a Video Card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by AlDavis, Sep 18, 2016.

1. AlDavis macrumors member

AlDavis

My Hd 5770 video card just died. All that I see is compatibility issues with other cards. The only store near me is Best Buy and nothing there is for mac 2010 quad core el captian. I can dual boot to Windows 7 though.

What are you guys using that won't break the bank and not buggy? I need it for video editing and I play games too.
    Any input will be appreciated.
    --Al

2. h9826790 macrumors G3

h9826790

For best compatibility. Either a GTX 680 or a HD7950 (R9 280), and then flash the card buy yourself to get the bootscreen.

3. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

the Radeon R9 280X, once flashed and modded is natively recognized and fully functional. I have one that I use as a graphics card and for compute in a couple programs such as Avid Media Composer and Blackmagic Resolve. it's not the fastest card possible but it's cost effective and it's not CUDA, so no extra software needed. I do no gaming so I can't comment on that.

I got mine and others off eBay. a flashed Gigabyte brand card with 3GB RAM and the needed power cables, $250. made sure the seller confirms that it does 5GT/s on PCIe.

the other thing to consider, if you plan on running it is to wait for Sierra and maybe you will get native support the newer RX 470, RX 480 cards.

4. AlDavis thread starter macrumors member

AlDavis

Can you please show me how to flash a video card correctly? Is this something that can be done in Windows 7?

5. h9826790 macrumors G3

h9826790

6. Synchro3, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016

Synchro3 macrumors 68000

Synchro3

Or just buy an already flashed card: http://www.macvidcards.com/

If you don't want to hassle with OS X updates and Nvidia Web driver buy a Kepler card (native OS X driver support). Meaning: GTX 780 (only 3 GB version), GTX 770, GTX 760, GTX 680, GT 640, GT 630.

7. AlDavis thread starter macrumors member

AlDavis

Is the HD7950 (R9 280) as good as the HD 7950 Mac Edition?

8. dfritchie macrumors regular

dfritchie

Once the card is flashed, you're Mac won't know the difference. It's the same hardware chipwise.

9. h9826790 macrumors G3

h9826790

Depends. If you pick the right card (e.g. has reference port layout), it may perform better than the Mac Edition card (after flash) because has better cooler.

But if you pick the wrong card, then some port may not work after flash (but that port can be recovered by booting from the original PC ROM, most 7950 has dual ROM design, so you can always keep one of the ROM with the stock PC ROM).

Also, most after market card has higher clock frequency. So, more power hunger. And come with a 6+8pin design. Even though it's technically outside the cMP's limitation, but the card can be driven by internal power only without any issues, all you need is a mini 6->8pin cable.

On the other hand, the Mac Edition card come with dual 6pin design, so always stay within the official limit, and shipped with all the required cables.

Anyway, MVC's GPU is always a good choice if you don't want to do it by yourself.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 18, 2016 ---
    Apart from the flashed card can only run at 2.5GT/s without R17 resistor removal. Even though there is no real world performance difference, but they are not entirely identical (in the system point of view).

10. AlDavis thread starter macrumors member

AlDavis

11. haralds macrumors 6502a

haralds

I am extremely satisfied with my Gigabyte GV-R797OC-3GD - which is overclocked a bit. Very quiet, although with heavy game play might hear the fans spin up a little. The cooling system is oversized.

Runs flawlessly in BootCamp with AMD drivers.

Flashed and "resistored."

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4102#ov

12. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

your options are pretty well covered here already. I don't think anyone was suggesting the official Mac versions of those cards, which as you've discovered, carry a huge premium. you want a bargain, bargains are all flashed cards. if you don't want to flash yourself, you have to buy one that someone else modded.

can you go back through all the posts and then come back with your specific questions and concerns?

13. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

If limiting yourself to local physical sellers then two options are to look at something like craiglist/backpage and see if there is someone local who is selling a card that you can walk over and buy (at some highly public neutral site). Second, option is to find some computer repair (or we build custom) place local. They may not have inventory, but they may be willing to buy it off of the web for you ( if buying off the web is somehow a major issue).

Likewise can look for used Mac Pro's for sale. Maybe some one local willing to let go of just the card. ( they may have bought something new). so could pick up a used 5770 / 5780 that way.

If $500 is too pricey then may need to let go of limitation that the card has to be new. Used, the prices for older stuff is probably more in line with your budget. After a while trying to buy a fresh-from-the-box, "new" card that is several years old gets move expensive over time. What paying for is for someone tho have held onto that box for several years. Cards that have been out of the box and used will typically continue to sag in price until they get extremely scarce.

There are no card vendors trying to cover the Mac market because they'll just be punished. The ROMs will be copied and the cottage industry that has grown to dominate the buyers market will undercut them for putting time, money, and effort into working with Apple to get something certified.

14. CapnDavey macrumors 6502

CapnDavey

used cards work well try craigslist or eBay also hamfest and flea markets are good places to find used cards

15. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

Get a used card from Ebay eg a GTX760 - worked faultlessly on my MP 2009 - in UK £60-70

No flashing

You miss the boot screen

Great for OSX - great for Windows games, medium settings

16. AlDavis thread starter macrumors member

AlDavis

I'm back in business. Thank all of you! The new card that you all recommend is very fast. Thanks again!
    [​IMG]

17. AlDavis thread starter macrumors member

AlDavis

Is it better to use the driver from the CD or just stick with the drivers from OS X El Capitan?

18. h9826790 macrumors G3

h9826790

No, the driver from CD is for the old OSX (before Mavericks). You should stick to the El Capitan native Apple driver. This card is a 100% OOTB solution for 10.9 or later.