Need help finding an 'external' home button

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by JohnApples, Feb 27, 2016.

1. JohnApples macrumors 65816

So I'm doing a custom Bluetooth setup with the stereo in my car, and everything works great except for the fact that I can't activate Siri using any of the buttons on my stereo. What I need is an external home button that I could press to activate Siri quickly, sort of like those "shutter" buttons (that really just replicate the volume button being pressed, I believe).

I have found *one* Bluetooth external home button, but ideally I would like to have one that could connect via a 3.5mm jack (complicated, but this would work better for me). The only "External" home button I found that connects this way via 3.5mm is sold in a car kit that I do not need, and is sold-out by the company anyway. I haven't heard a response from them, so I figured I'd look elsewhere.

If anyone can help me out, I need a button that will replicate the home button being pressed, that connects via 3.5mm jack. Thank you!

2. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

Just an fyi... my car stereo will activate Siri, by pushing (and holding in) the volume dial. If you just push it in, it does a different thing, but I have to hold it in for like 2 seconds. Maybe you haven't tried holding in the buttons you tried? My instructions did not indicate doing this for siri, as I think it is a pre-siri stereo.

3. bransoj macrumors 6502a

If the phone is plugged in charging can you not use the "Hey Siri" function to activate it? Or if on a 6S\6S+ you dont even need it charging. I've used it a few times in my car on both my old iPhone 5 plugged in and more recently on my 6S both plugged in and unplugged and it worked fine picking up the fact i said "Hey Siri" with no issues including once whilst on a motorway doing motorway speeds with the stereo already playing.