Need help finding driver for this wifi card

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by cameroncr95, Feb 18, 2014.

1. cameroncr95 macrumors newbie

I want to use this card on my imac G3:

[​IMG]

All I know is the card is a Ralink card and the official ralink site now redirects to their new parent company and the drivers they provide do not work, although the box for the card clearly said mac OS X 10.3+ (I run 10.4)

Please do not ask me why I am using a USB rather than airport. I would rather try to use this than go out and spend a ton of money on ancient hardware. Thanks for the help.

2. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Do you know the chipset model of that stick? Ralink starts them with "RT" and then something.

Airport card itself doesn't cost that much, but if G3 you are using needs some kind of rare adapters etc. then it may of course be different thing.

3. cameroncr95 thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem is the box did not say what the number was, and I lost the disc for it.

Also, I had checked and the adapter for airport is not installed so I would need to pay for both the card and adapter. Id rather try to use this card. Is there any software programs that you know of that can find model numbers?

4. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

When it's plugged into your usb look in the system settings under usb and it should tell you the ralink model number. Look it up and you should find compatible drivers.

5. harrymatic macrumors 6502

I have a similar wireless adapter that I used to use with one of my iBooks - I'll have a look for the driver disk and upload the drivers.

6. cameroncr95 thread starter macrumors newbie

That would be a huge help. Thanks!

7. harrymatic macrumors 6502

8. cameroncr95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help, but none of those worked.
    The card is detected in USB devices, but when I try to open the ralink utility after install, the app closes right after. :(

9. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Try plugging the adapter off and back again, one Ralink USB WLAN stick worked only if I booted the OS first and then plugged it in. Restarting with the stick in place didn't work, couldn't connect.

10. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

I had the same thing for the ralink adapter I purchased. Only works on my imac g4, not my g3. The program shuts down.

11. cameroncr95 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess that could be it. That sucks, because the system requirements listed the G3.

12. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

I have a Ralink USB wifi unit, and before it will work you need to go into System Preferences->Network and click on Apply when the new network card shows up as detected.

If this doesn't work I will upload my drivers for you, but they're probably the same as Harry's.

Cheers :)

Hugh

13. cameroncr95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Could you possibly upload them so I can see if they are? It would at least be of some help to me even if they don't work.

14. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

Will do when I can, I'm at work at the moment and the PowerBook I am on has only the Leo drivers backed up.

In the meantime try what I suggested in System Prefs; it had me going for a while why the thing wasn't working.

Hugh

15. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

OK, here are the drivers I have for my Ralink stick; they are labelled Leopard but I was assured they will work on all PPC.
    I haven't tried them myself on Tiger or below though.

Hope this helps,

Hugh

Attached Files: