Need help finding drivers or software?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tech0925, Jul 16, 2011.

1. tech0925 macrumors member

tech0925

I have an iMac running Mac OSX 10.5.8. I just got a new internet modem from my cable provider. It is called a Docsis 3.0 modem. Technically it is a Cisco DPC3010. My iMac will not recognize it when I hook the modem up via usb or ethernet?!?! I am trying to find some type of install software or drivers to get this running on my iMac.

Please help....Thanks

2. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

SundayDuffer

Im running a Zoom docsis 3. Everything is fine.
    Is your modem connected to a wireless router? Thats how i ran mine.

3. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

4. tech0925 thread starter macrumors member

tech0925

Thanks you guys. Mine is hooked up directly from the modem to the imac. No hubs, or wireless networks inbetween. Also, that site you gave me would be perfect but does not seem to have mac drivers, just windows :confused:. Thanks!

5. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

you would only need drivers if you are using the USB interface, I would use the ethernet connection instead which will not need drivers to work. Follow the instructions in the manual or contact your cable company that supplied the Modem if you are having problems setting it up.

6. tech0925 thread starter macrumors member

tech0925

See that is what I thought too. However, I can hook the modem up and get 169 ip address when the modem is locked on. Furthermore, once they activate the modem I get absolutely nothing on the ip address. Not even all 0's, weird huh? I think I need a new ethernet card!

Thanks, guys!

7. MacHamster68, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

169....... means in simple words you dont have a valid ip to go online , just needs setting up proper , a new ethernet card wont solve that problem of setting up everything like it should be
    read here
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1920

8. tech0925 thread starter macrumors member

tech0925

Thanks, however I am a techy kind of guy and already know these steps. Trust me when I say I have performed them countless of times. The reason for the new modem is b/c my other modem when I surf, and especially when I upload files, I will loose connection countless times a day.. It is not my internet provider's fault. I used to work for them and know how there signals work and what is good and what is not.

For whatever reason my iMac just quits talking to the modem and reverts to the all hated 169 (which usually indicates a problem with your computer). Just aggravated as all get out with this iMac...LOL

Thanks though!