Need help finding encryption tool

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by whiskeybravo, Jun 24, 2011.

1. whiskeybravo macrumors member

Hello all,

I've been using an encryption tool since 2005 called simply "Vault". It has an icon that looks like a teddy bear with a burglar outfit. Through a combination of circumstances, I've lost the program and have an encrypted file that I need to open. I cannot seem to find reference to this software anywhere and I'm desperate for help! I've searched macupdate and version tracker, as well as googling until my eyes bled. Someone must use this program??? A link (or contact if you can send it to me) would be greatly appreciated.

I should note there are other tools called "vault" that I have found, none of them are this tool.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's apple's filevault if you want to encrypt your home folder, and with Lion you get the ability to encrypt the drive.

There's also PGP where you can encrypt your hard drive or individual files.

3. whiskeybravo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but I absolutely need this SPECIFIC program, because I have a file that was encrypted using it and I need to unencrypt the file!

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sorry I misunderstood your post - my reading comprehension skills failed me :(

I found this http://agilebits.com/knox but I don't think this is what you were meant.

Try going through your ~/Library folder in the application preferences to find vault. You may find a file there where it has the vendor's name in the file or part of the filename.

5. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

My guess is that it is Darren Ford's Vault. The (now defunct) Geocities page refers to a picture called "burglar-bear.png".

Anything familiar?

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

7. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Well, could you? ;)

To be fair, this OP appears to actually have tried searching, in contrast to most questions that come up in new threads.

8. whiskeybravo thread starter macrumors member

Seems like a good possibility given the year. I can't seem to find this for download anywhere, but at least I have more information to look for!

Thanks

9. whiskeybravo thread starter macrumors member

Yes!

Thanks itickings, that was the one! I sent an e-mail to Darren since I could not find the program anywhere. He kindly obliged and sent me a dmg file. Worked like a charm and I immediately exported the file contents to plain text. Saved!