Need help finding GPU for Mac Pro 4.1/5.1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TimCook, Dec 25, 2013.

1. TimCook macrumors member

TimCook

Hi there,

I'm helping my brother (a photographer) find a new desktop computer. He's currently slogging it out on a 2009 iMac - and I think a 4.1/5.1 Mac Pro would be the best replacement for him (the screen attached to the iMac is a waste on him, since he needs a specific calibrated display for his work anyway).

My plan at the moment is to find a 2nd hand Mac Pro with reasonable specs, and add in a modern GPU like the GTX 760.

I'm just having a bit of trouble finding a GPU that uses double 6-pin connecters.

Could someone please give me a recommendation of a specific GPU that would work with one of these Mac Pros?

I'm in Australia, though I'm willing to get items shipped from the USA.

Thanks

2. Cisco_Kid macrumors 6502

Cisco_Kid

3. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

Photoshop is happy to work with the 7950 3Gb cards which are 2x6-pin. You can easily flash a PC version from the instructions on netkas.org.

The big sticky post at the top of the forum shows what nVidia cards can be used too.

If you want to go a little nearer the top of the range, you can order a card from MacVidCards on eBay. These are PC cards that have ben flashed and modded to fit inside the Mac Pro's official power constraints even if they were 6-pin + 8-pin to begin with.

4. SadChief macrumors regular

SadChief

EVGA GTX 680 Mac Edition. 2x6 pin.
    No headaches.
    A little over-dimensioned for photography work nonetheless.
    I'm a photographer too. Very happy with it.
    Took a 5 year warranty extension for 25 bucks more also.
    It really rocks.

5. TimCook thread starter macrumors member

TimCook

Ah thanks, I was having a bit more of a look today and found the 7950 was double 6-pin
    It's probably the best option for him too tbh

Thanks for the recommendation mate, this is almost definitely the right card

----------

[/COLOR]
    Heheh so tempting, I'd certainly go for that card personally, but since my brother just needs his computer for PS and occasional film editing, it probably is a bit overkill :D

I'm getting really tempted to buy my own Mac Pro as a gaming station (like maybe the 2.1/3.1 version since CPU isn't too important, and i'd be on a tight budget), so the 680 Mac has begun calling to me...

Thanks for the advice :)

6. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

If you decide to get a 7950 for flashing, there is a model which has a modified cooler that still vents out the back but has an enlarged fan. I don't know the model I am afraid.

If gaming on the 7950, it will heat up under load and if you have the open cooler type, it falls to the Expansion Bay fan to vent that heat and it will make more noise than the 7950 cooler. If you stick to the rear vented 7950s then the Expansion Bay fan has less work to do.

7. avemestr macrumors regular

EVGA GTX 680 2GB version is 2*6pin. I use the PC version, which is also 2*6 pin.

8. riggles macrumors 6502

9. SpecFoto macrumors member

I use an unflashed 3GB MSI twin frozer AMD 7950 (2x6p pin) that I took out of a PC I built. Run 2 Apple 27" displays with it and the main use is for bridge/photoshop. Works great and WAAY better than the stock 5770 for gaming, mainly SC II. Really quiet with the twin fans, even with gaming.

But being unflashed, there is no Apple start up screen until login (about 8-10sec with SSD). Works with OS 10.7 or later, no go with Snow Leopard.